Help identifying a fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently took this picture on a reef off of Grand Cayman and haven't been able to identify it. It was just sitting on the top of a coral head. Is it a blenny of some sort? Some kind of immature fish? Thanks. Cayman-0038.jpg

My first guess is a Blenny. It might be a saddled blenny, Malacoctenus triangulatus. I am not at all confident in the ID.

Yes, a lot of blenny-like features, but the snout is odd to me and so is the fluorescent orange. Coloration is similar to a saddled blenny, though. Bizarre looking creature.

Don't think it is a blenny. They have a single full length dorsal fin. Its hard to tell for sure, but I think this fish has two.

Don't think it is a blenny. They have a single full length dorsal fin. Its hard to tell for sure, but I think this fish has two.

Agree -- I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like a single continuous dorsal fin.

Looks to me like a Redspotted Hawkfish.

Yep, found it in the back of my book under odd shaped swimmers. Didn't think to look there. Nice find t-mac.

Yep, found it in the back of my book under odd shaped swimmers. Didn't think to look there. Nice find t-mac.

Thanks. Can't wait to read up on this beast. Never encountered one before.

Back
Top Bottom