Recommendations for gear for someone in poor health

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm trying to help someone buy a mask, fins, booties and snorkel for an upcoming trip. I'm looking for gear that will make things easier for him so he can enjoy himself. By "snorkeling" we are talking very light movement in the water. I'm thinking light weight split fins, though I'm not sure if open heel, closed heel, straps, etc. would be better for him.

1. What do you think would be easier for someone who has trouble walking to use for fins?

2. He also has emphysema, what type of snorkel will be easiest to breathe from and also easiest to clear for snorkeling?

3. Any advice for masks based on the stated criteria? I'm thinking something with a purge valve? He is not going to learn to clear his mask...

Thanks!

---------- Post added ----------

This is the snorkel I'm looking at for him:
Snorkel
Oceanic Ultra dry 100% Dry Snorkel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A8CPYE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ADMX27L5Y7F0Q

Last edited:
If you are going to outfit this person, then get small fins designed for swimming or snorkeling, as opposed to a full size scuba fin. Low booties will protect feet when walking, and an open heel fin will be earlier for him to put on. Chose a snorkel based upon barrel diameter. He will want the biggest diameter you can find. I am not a fan of floats that prevent water in the snorkel, but a snorkel with a splash guard is ok. Masks with purge valves are more likely to leak. I suggest a proper fitting full face plate mask (as opposed to one with two separate lenses. Finally, given the description of this person's health, I would also recommend a snorkel vest, inflated while snorkeling. A local dive/snorkel shop will carry what you need. You will want to fit the mask to his face, so do not buy on-line for the mask. Better to try on everything if you can, so head to your local shop.
DivemasterDennis
DivemasterDennis

We are going to buy all the equipment because he doesn't want to take a chance getting there and having to deal with uncomfortable equipment, and we plan to buy everything from a LDS where he can try it on.

1. Generally, what is the difference between fins designed for snorkeling/swimming and full size scuba fin? Is it just size? If I can find a a snorkel/scuba fin that is small and light, will that be good?
2. Why are you not a fan of floats that prevent water in the snorkel?
3. Why are masks with purge valves more likely to leak?

Thanks for your help!

1. Generally, what is the difference between fins designed for snorkeling/swimming and full size scuba fin? Is it just size? If I can find a a snorkel/scuba fin that is small and light, will that be good?

fins for snorkle and swimming are usually smaller, and more flexible than scuba fins. The stiffness of the fin makes it propel you better, but uses much more muscle. A stiff scuba fin can induce cramps very quickly.

2. Why are you not a fan of floats that prevent water in the snorkel?
in my (limited) experence with these, they don't usually actually prevent that much water from getting in. They are also bulky, and have moving parts, which always introduces failure points.

3. Why are masks with purge valves more likely to leak?

They have a hole in them, holes tend to leak. If a piece of sand or seaweed or shirmp gets stuck in the valve, it will jam open, giving you a slow, annoying leak. Clearing a mask is really easy, and a well fit mask shouldn't leak enough to justify the extra mantinance and hassle of having the valve.

$0.002 cents worth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom