Fitness in my smaller pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to use my backyard pool to get in shape. Right now, we're headed into our hottest part of the summer with 110 degree days and hotter in the forecast.the pool is a diving pool so deep at one end but of course, no Olympic pool by any means. Swimming laps in it makes me dizzy.
Can anyone suggest a fitness routine for strength and cardio using my pool? I can't do too much overhead work, especially with weights. Otherwise, no real physical limitations.
I can work with or without scuba and or snorkeling gear.
i need work on all parts of my body. Realized while at Catalina that humping all that heavy gear through town, using the heavier weight with the drysuit and the drag of my trilam drysuit is going to require a much higher level of fitness than where I'm at now.
thanks!

Have you considered using a jet that you can swim against? Endless pool, etc etc. Lots of options out there. The cheaper option is using a rubber cord attached to a belt. You have a support overhead that the cord goes to. Good for laps-in-place as well.
Outside the pool, I would suggest a simple running and calisthenics routine. I personally love kettlebells. But surely you remember your basic training days? Or did you grow to hate those routines?

How about jogging in full scuba gear....

Okay, but seriously, jogging, walking, squats, stairs etc. with a weighted rucksack to simulate hauling gear in and out of shore dives. All of which will help with leg strength and stamina.

For shore dives I find the majority of energy usage is just getting into and out of the water, even surface swims are relatively easy once the entry is done, so carrying loads rather than swimming may be more beneficial.

For getting use out of the pool, how about swimming laps while wearing normal clothing. Higher drag and workrate so you won't need to do so many laps and avoid getting dizzy.

So, I've done quite a bit of pool diving but not as much fitness as I would have liked. Honestly, it got so hot it was miserable even in the pool.
should be cooling off soon, so I'll start looking for buddies to go to the lake. I'll be able to start up walking and hiking again as well.
Did complete my DM, except for some internship classes!
Cant wait to move from this inferno. My husband has about a year left to finish his degree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom