http://www.diveheart.org/

Special suit for child awaiting kidney transplant.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi my name is Tina and I hope you all are having a good day. I am looking so advice on possibly getting a customized suit for a 9 year old boy, Blake Loudenber, that is in need of a kidney transplant. Blake suffers from polycystic kidney disease and due to this he stands only 42 inches tall and has a stomach catheter. He has never been able to swim or take a bath due to the risk of submerging the catheter and getting an infection. I have never been involved with diving in anyway but I was wondering if a scuba suit could possibly work with giving him the chance to finally be able to step foot in a pool? I have no clue on who to contact or what to ask. I know I must sound silly but is a scuba suit waterproof so your body doesn't get wet underneath? Any information will help us greatly. I am hoping it will work so we can surprise him and give him the chance to be able to do things like go to the beach, swim at friends birthday parties, or even just to play in the bathtub.

Thank you and have a good day!

Tina Dozier

A Miracle for Blake | Facebook

you will need a made to measure drysuit.
as he grows this would need adjustment /replacing.

there will be a number of companies in the us that make these.

might be worth an e-mail or 2 -they might even donate.

if not i'm sure you could ask the dive comunity for assistance.

i'm in the uk but will happily help if i can.

best wishes
daryl

A scuba wetsuit traps a layer of water between your body and the suit - when it heats up it keeps you warm.

So mala's suggestion would be the only way to keep him dry.

You might start with Susan Long at DUI - Diving Unlimited International. A few years ago they made a custom drysuit for Matt the Aquaman - one of our members who has Muscular Dystrophy - so he could do several shallow dives.

Susan is the president of the company - contact info here: Contact DUI - Diving Unlimited International - We make the worlds best dry suits

Thank you both very much! I emailed Susan a little while ago, I hope to hear back from her soon. If you learn of something new that could help and don't mind letting me know on here, or if you have a facebook on our page, A Miracle for Blake | Facebook, let us know! This little boy would be thrilled at the chance to enjoy the water! Thanks again!!

Tina Dozier

I'm not sure what kind of catheter he uses, but have you considered trying to "wrap" it?
I'm not sure how to explain this in english, but working with patients who had their bowels removed, I know you can get bags that glue on to the skin, with a hole in it. You attach a plate to the skin, and affix a bag to the plate. This is thight enough to keep "things" in the bag... Wouldn't it be possible to keep water out of reach of the cath? Google Bilder-resultat for http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userImages/2009-10/04/tenhoo%24191841168(s).jpg This is the kind of bag I am thinking of. So if you could thread the cath through the plate, and affix the bag on top?

Just a thought.
If not... a drysuit as the others have mentioned might be the solution.

I have seen the drysuits they use with kids at Monterey Bay Aquarium. I'm pretty sure they are DUI. The hands and head get wet but the torso is completly dry. I hope it works out for you :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately Sue said that there wasn't anything they can provide for us. We can have the suit customized from between $1500-3000. It was worth a shot but there is no way we can come up with the money to have something like that made for him. Thank you all again.

Back
Top Bottom