Keeping Fish on the Line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLoaf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I hear some people talking about Spearfishing and keeping a line of your prey with you and staying down to hunt. Is this a safe thing to do? I'm sure WHERE you do this matters. Anyone do this? And if so, where do you do this?

---------- Post added ----------

Called a fish clip right?

I'm just going to get a snap link and some cord and do it. First open water dive after cert is gonna be solo!

I'm just going to get a snap link and some cord and do it. First open water dive after cert is gonna be solo!

Go for it, Dandy Don will be adding another name to his goulish collection.

I'll be diving in water as deep as my swimming pool and I dont need a buddy for the pool. I don't get why people think scuba is so technical. Especially shallow diving.

It's not technical, you will probably not have any problems, what kind of fish are you going after. Then again you might have a problem, what kind of problems do you think you could have doing this dive,

Check out the solo diving forum

Sheepshead, small fish. Shallow water. Also, in the military I did plenty of water survival and rescue swimming. So even equipment failure is not a concern for me to be honest, not in the shallow water I will be in.

If you think I am a candidate for the Darwin award for this, you are an idiot. Sorry I'm not scared oof swimming.

You should practice scuba diving a bunch of times before spearfishing.
You should practice spearfishing with an experienced buddy before trying it alone.
And you should practice solo diving a bunch of times before you spearfish solo.
And carrying dead and bleeding fish with you on a string while diving, (in certain areas) may make for a VERY exciting dive.

I hear some people talking about Spearfishing and keeping a line of your prey with you and staying down to hunt. Is this a safe thing to do? I'm sure WHERE you do this matters. Anyone do this? And if so, where do you do this?

Called a fish clip right?

You can try to be smart on dives, or you can purposely not be smart......carrying the fish on your belt for any length of time, means that if there are sharks in the area, IF they get attracted they are going to be coming directly at you as the source of the blood and shaking/vibrations of a dying/struggling fish. If you had some buddies around to help you, and to watch your back, this would not be so bad...but solo it is far too easy to be "ambushed" like this.

Smarter ways include:
  • have a line on your belt that goes to a stringer 15 feet or so above you.....plus side is you don't get bite tested by the shark..minus side is that you can suddenly find yourself being pulled along at 10 mph if a big shark grabs your fish ( though this is better than being grabbed yourself).
  • send up the fish after shooting it with an SMB, for someone on the surface to retrieve. Downside is you need a person on a boat. Plus side is you are wacked to do this solo with no boat, and this is incentive to fix this :)
  • After shooting each fish, take it straight to the surface and put it in the boat, ending all blood flow and vibration transmission that could attract sharks....Only takes a moment, and keeps you far more streamlined than dragging big fish around. If you don't have a boat, at least get a kayak or a stand up paddle board with a cooler on it for fish. You can tow either with essentially no drag or effort.

Sheepshead, small fish. Shallow water. Also, in the military I did plenty of water survival and rescue swimming. So even equipment failure is not a concern for me to be honest, not in the shallow water I will be in.

If you think I am a candidate for the Darwin award for this, you are an idiot. Sorry I'm not scared oof swimming.

Entanglement in an abandoned cast net makes swimming difficult, a buddy could come in handy

Thanks for the input. I had to put the post of solo first time stuff just to get enough attention for replies. Lol. If using a diver down flag on a reel for drift diving , I suppose this could be a good place to string the fish?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom