Shocklines (shock-line) - coiled or wrapped or what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drdaddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Pacific NW - Oregon, Newport/South Beach/Oregon, Yaquina Bay

I've been diving and spear fishing for some time now on the jetties. Most of the time the shots are very close (less than 7ft) because of the poor vis and just the nature of jetty hunting. I've used a regular shock-line, which takes a while to untangle and re-wrap, so I've gone to a "spring coil shock-line". While the recovery after the shot is faster, I feel like I'm getting more resistance with the coil.

So here are the issues. 1st of all my 55" gun is worthless around the jetty as it's not maneuverable enough - but I'd still like opinions on shock-lines for it. I'm going on a few open Pacific ocean dives to "100 ft where the vis is better than our maximum 12ft around the jetty. I will be alternating on dives with camera and speargun. I may be using this gun or stick with the "all around" 40".

2nd - I have a 40" that I use around the Jetties - and use a spring coiled shock-line, but it has held me back on the occasional 12 ft shots. Do I get a longer coil or just use a regular shock-line or what?

3rd - My favorite jetty speargun is a 31" that I can swing around like crazy. Range is suppose to be about 12 ft, but my shockline is about 10 ft. Again, what kind of shock-line?

Thank you for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom