First regulators for a new diver--MK25?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheeky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im new to diving but am hooked and plan on doing much more. I have decided to start purchasing some equipment and am checking out regulators. I am rather impressed with ScubaPro MK25/G250V combo. I'm planning on diving here in Saskatchewan during the summer months and I also spend 4-5 weeks in the Caribbean each winter. I will be recreational and no deeper than 100 ft.

Can anyone share their thoughts on this setup or recommend something to suit my needs-future plans.

Thanks!!

Thanks MG11!!

the MK25 is a great Regulator, I like the S600 2nd stage with the metal air barrel or A700 Vs. the G250V, though there is nothing wrong with the 250, I just find it a little large.

the C200 would make a nice octo Nice and small and breathe pretty good too.

Not good enough, as a new diver planning on easy warm water dives you need an atomic titanium!:wink:

Seriously the MK25/G250V is a top shelf reg, way more than you'll ever actually need, if you don't mind spending the money go for it. I'm sure your LDS will be appreciative!

I'll be doing cold water diving in northern canada as well so that's why I was thinking about the high end set up. Is there much difference between the MK25 and 17?

I'll be doing cold water diving in northern canada as well so that's why I was thinking about the high end set up. Is there much difference between the MK25 and 17?

There is a huge difference between the MK25 and MK17, MK17 being more suitable for cold water and although they are a bit cheaper they are not less high-end regs.

MK17 balanced sealed diaphragm with a dry chamber, no internal parts are exposed to the environment.
MK25 balanced piston with wet ambient chamber, the water stays in the chamber at all times and if frozen will cause the regulator to freeflow, especially if the reg is exposed to the outside freezing temps.

As you are a new diver and live in Canada and this is your first! and probably the only for sometime regulator in your shoes I would definitely go with MK17 as it gives you more margin for an operator error in the cold water.

MK25 needs to be treated carefully in water with a temp below 40F. You need to have a good cold water techniques to dive it in cold water especially when the temperature is freezing outside. If improperly handled pre dive in those conditions the chances that MK25 will freeze are way greater.

Myself I have started diving MK25/G250V this season in temps around 40f and so far they were behaving great. When I started my diving I bought a diaphragm reg (Zeagle FH6, similar to MK17) and as my techniques were far from being any good I managed to get even a dry diaphragm regs frozen :)

I bought my MK25s because I love how they route on doubles. I still use my diaphragm regs (Zeagle FH 6) for the very cold season.

MK17/G250V is an outstanding regulator and you will unlikely grow up from that combo and will unlikely regret purchasing the one. My buddy has been diving his MK17/G250V from day one and never was disappointed, he now has 4 sets.

I use hog d1colds. They are balanced sealed diaphragms and I've used them down to 39 degree at 160' and they worked just fine. I use the same on all my stage bottles and decompression bottles.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom