Need help on a BP/W setup.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayandseven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok. I have decided to take most everyone's advice here and go with a BP/W for my new BC rig. I'm replacing an old jacket style Seabro BCD (anyone remember that brand?) that I purchased back in 1989. It still works, but is probably a ticking time bomb. Questions:

1. Backplates differ greatly in price. Is ScubaPro or Halcyon worth the extra$? Any best bang for the buck backplate recommendations?
2. For the harness, I would like to be able to loosen the shoulder straps, like on a jacket style bcd, before taking the rig off due to a bad shoulder. Is there a harness that can accommodate me on this?
3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of an integrated back pad like on the Dive Rite transpac/apeksWTX/Scubapro Xtec? (all pricey)
4. If I want to carry little to no extra weight, is a SS backplate the way to go even though I do lots of warm water diving?
5. Bladders. I spearfish mostly, lots of the time on wrecks. Any recommendations for a tough bladder that's also very streamlined?
Looking to you seasoned bp/w divers out there who have tried lots of these rigs to help me out.
Thanks so much!

1. NO. Look for other, quality brands, such as Deep Sea Supply.
2. Yes. Check out the Deep Sea Supply glide harness adapter.
3. I don't know of any. I've never felt any need for a pad, from drysuits to thick wetsuits to really thin ones.
4. I think so. That's what I use.
5. Look for the Oxycheq Extreme series.

Another vote for dss.
Don't bother with anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Living where you do a Back inflate system (Zeagle) or Kydex plate DSS is what you want. I prefer a BC like the Zeagle Stiletto where you have weight pockets and a nice waist cummerbund and comfortable harness. Good for travel as well. Seems as if the BPW elitist have got you! I dive a BPW when I need the weight of a plate for Dry suit diving (11+lbs). When I travel I use a Zeagle as I do not want the weight.

An Oxycheq Extreme Mach V wing will set you back $390+ but that is as tough as you can get.

Diverite has recently come out with 'armored' fabric wing so the Oxycheq 'armored' wings have some competition now.

The Transpac is not really a harness for a backplate, although it can be used with one. The Transplate harness is what you want to look at. Quick releases and adjustability on both sides (I've had shoulder surgeries as well), and I also like the padding more than just a webbing harness. DSS stuff is good, but I still like Dive Rite. I have 2 Transplate harnesses that have many hundreds of dives on them. As for the backplate, composition (aluminum vs steel) and slots for cam bands are more important than manufacturer. And any decent wing will hold up with proper care. Place more emphasis on size, lift, shape, etc.

1) No, you pay for brand really
2) They do make quick release harnesses, but you could also string up a belt buckle or quick release on one of your shoulder straps. It'll be cheaper that way
3) I'll let someone else answer this one.
4)Backplates put their weight on your shoulders, so you may want to get a light Bp and wear a weight belt.
5)Oxycheq or DSS (Deep Sea Supply)

1. Bang for the buck is DSS or HOG.
2. As to the harness, I too suffer a shoulder malady, and rigged my plate (DSS) with a Dive-Rite "Transplate" harness (Quick Release Buckles). Notheast Scuba Supply is clearing out "older" models of this harness for practically the price of a Hogarthian Rig (half the price of new model).
3. Backpad = more "floaty", and rarely will make a difference. There are "soft plates" that some use for weight considerations with travel.
4. A 6# SS plate is a nice option to weighting.
5. There are some good streamlined wings (see #1 above).

1. Backplates differ greatly in price. Is ScubaPro or Halcyon worth the extra$? Any best bang for the buck backplate recommendations?

There is nothing wrong with ScubaPro or Halcyon. but be prepared to pay more. chances are you'll be just as happy with another brand for much less. I'd consider a DSS (as mentioned above) the Edge/Hog wing, or Dive Rite. Everyone I know who has the Halcyon's like them though.

2. For the harness, I would like to be able to loosen the shoulder straps, like on a jacket style bcd, before taking the rig off due to a bad shoulder. Is there a harness that can accommodate me on this?

I wanted the same thing. I've got the Dive Rite Transplate Harness. I'm really happy with it and really like how it adjusts and how easy it is to get in/out of. Also like it's got a chest sternum strap that a basic hog harness doesn't have.

some people that are more "purest" believe in the one piece HOG/DIR harness as it's got only one buckle. therefore almost no failure points. Some think the adjustable harnesses offer more failure points. But in reality, you can search the board all over and prob have a hard time finding any mention of these failing. If they failed, you'd see people posting about it all the time and recalls. and you don't.

Hollis Elite is another adjustable harness you can look at compared to the Transplate Harness. I've not used it and seen little talk about it. but just wanted to note it's another "fully adjustable plate harness" to consider. There might be some others also. not sure. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of an integrated back pad like on the Dive Rite transpac/apeksWTX/Scubapro Xtec? (all pricey)

chances are you don't need it. Once you get in the water your gear is pretty neutral and you don't notice the pad if it's there or not. especially with a wetsuit on.

disadvantage.... you're adding uneeded buoyancy that you have to offset by adding weight.

4. If I want to carry little to no extra weight, is a SS backplate the way to go even though I do lots of warm water diving?

I dive a SS plate with steel single tanks. I carry no weight in 3mm or less. my 5mm, I have to carry a few pounds. it's great not having to carry 10+ pounds of weight.

One more note. There is nothing wrong with "mixing and matching" brands of gear.
often you can buy a "no name plate", then buy something like the Transplate Harness from Dive Rite, then the HOG 32pound bladder (which is nicely streamlined) and then buy the XS Scuba Cam straps, which have quick release.

The advantage to buying all one brand is that sometimes shops do "package deals". But what is in the package might not be optimal for you. Buying it alacarte might cost a few bucks more.

There is nothing wrong with "mixing and matching" brands of gear.
often you can buy a "no name plate", then buy something like the Transplate Harness from Dive Rite, then the HOG 32pound bladder (which is nicely streamlined) and then buy the XS Scuba Cam straps, which have quick release.

You are describing my gear (but the "no-name plate" is a DSS)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom