Any Experience with Aviastar or Wings Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jake11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just found out the flights that I thought were going to be on Merapati were changed and are now on Aviastar from Denpasar to LBJ and then on Wings Air from Baubau to Makassar and then onto Denpasar. We have never flown on either of these airlines. Hopefully they have a better track record than what people were saying about Merapati. Any thoughts or dealings with these airlines?

Flew Aviastar LBJ to DPS. It was a nice, new, roomy, on time, quiet turboprop. Flew Wings AMQ to KNG. Not much to report other than it was certainly roomier that the Lion Air flight to AMQ.

Yey! Thanks ukdave0!! Now I will not lose any more sleep over thinking we were going to miss our LOB due to Merapati airlines cancelling our flight! Good news! Thanks!

Flew Wings last August from DPS to LBJ, flight was delayed out of DPS but otherwise fine other than 3 out of 4 of our bags were left behind in DPS. Wings doesn't have daily flights between DPS and LBJ. We weren't the only ones, 6 out of 15 people on the boat were missing bags. A few people only arrived with their carry on's and had to borrow dive gear and bathing suits. The boat had to stay in the area around LBJ until the bags arrived the next day around 5pm via Meraparti and a speed boat.

Flew Wings Air Ambon to Sorong. It was on a turboprop (the ATR 72, like here: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Wing...74753/L/&sid=5683245c672c2153d329458d139cf069), and it had a 15kg limit per person for checked in luggage. The overweight charges were not expensive at all (a little bit over USD 1 per kg, if I remember correctly), although I could definitely imagine that if everybody on the flight had been over the 15kg limit, then they might have had a reason to leave some bags behind.

MA and myself flew Wings Air DPS-BMA Flight took off within 10 min of schedule - its actually operated by Lion Air. Probably a blessing in disguise you dont have to go through Merpati??

Well at least we are flying Wings Air after the LOB. We will be heading up to Scuba Seraya once we get back into Bali so if they leave our bags behind in Baubau( sp.?) then hopefully they can somehow get them to us in Tulumben. I am going to hand carry as much as possible since I don't want to miss any Tulumben dives in our limited time there! Thanks for the tips everyone!

Flew Wings Air Ambon to Sorong. It was on a turboprop (the ATR 72, like here: Photos: ATR ATR-72-500 (ATR-72-212A) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net), and it had a 15kg limit per person for checked in luggage. The overweight charges were not expensive at all (a little bit over USD 1 per kg, if I remember correctly), although I could definitely imagine that if everybody on the flight had been over the 15kg limit, then they might have had a reason to leave some bags behind.

ATR 72's can easily handle more than 15kg per passenger. Plenty of airlines that operate ATR 72's offer 20kg free per passenger and for frequent flyer members they offer 30kg or more than 20kg. No reason to leave bags behind as mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:
We are set to arrive Sept.13 and leave Sept.16 late afternoon. Will you be in the area then?
I dont think they will leave your bags behind touch wood. When are you heading to Tulamben?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom