Back Up PDC - holder only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryDZ

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a new PDC for my console. I would like to use the old one as a back up. The Oceanic B.U.D. has the perfect set up with a clip for your BC. Does anyone sell just the holder with the clip that you can insert your own hockey puck type PDC into?

what are the dimensions? Is it the same as a SPG in size (diameter and thickness)? If so, you could buy a single gauge boot (like for an spg), and use the hose port to run a lanyard and clip out of it....

If you can't find something like that, you might consider looking for a wrist mount that would fit. (Personally I use the one on my wrist and keep my backup in the console.) Maybe something from DSS would work.

what is the reasoning for a backup dive computer that is carried with you? Seems to only introduce another failure point when you can A) terminate the dive in the event of a failure for NDL 2) use your buddies computer profile if you get into light deco 3) use tables or other non-electronic methods. I would take your old one in your bag and use it if your primary dies. Not trying to be a pain, i'm just curious?

I don’t see how a backup can be a failure point. A failure point is a place for one item to fail, such as an oring sealed port. Having a second computer doesn’t make the first one more likely to fail on its own accord.

Not all diving can be terminated immediately when a computer fails. Even if it can be, many operations on trips won’t let you back in the water for 24 hours unless you have been using tables the entire trip, otherwise you might be guessing at your nitrogen levels. Using your buddies computer is not a good option at all. And, tables only work if you have something to keep track of time. IE, a backup dive computer or bottom timer J

Backups can be kept out of sight, but I always worry if it’s still there, or still working. If either of my computer’s fail, I’m turning the dive. I prefer to keep everything on my arms, using DSS bungee mounts.

They have a few different sizes for different computers, hopefully one fits yours. You could always tie a boltsnap to it to store it like the Oceanic BUD, if it fits tightly then it should retain the computer inside the rubber boot properly, but I still think using it on your arms is the best option.

I could have use a backup this past weekend. The wet contacts didn't work. At 50fsw I noticed the PDC was still off. I pushed the button.....PDC don't like to wake up @ 50fsw! It flashed alarm and turned off. I used my watch. It was a short dive anyway, but an example of why a backup can be handy. It's not ok to use your buddy's PDC, is it ok to use your buddies tables? :wink:

A backup is almost mandatory for multi-day trips. What do you do when your computer fails on day 2, dive 2 of a 7 day dive trip? Wait 24 hours and start diving tables? Not at resort diving prices. It is also why it is advisable to log your dives on these trips even if diving a computer. You can then at least dive the tables.

I dive with two computers. But it kinda depends on the diving. I could do the shallow Largo reefs with a wrist watch and nothing more. Many divers are overly cautious and that's not a bad thing. But if your NDL is 300+ minutes there is not much you need a dive computer for, just make sure your back in an hour.

what is the reasoning for a backup dive computer that is carried with you? Seems to only introduce another failure point when you can A) terminate the dive in the event of a failure for NDL 2) use your buddies computer profile if you get into light deco 3) use tables or other non-electronic methods. I would take your old one in your bag and use it if your primary dies. Not trying to be a pain, i'm just curious?
Don't see how a backup computer is in any way a failure point.

Terminating the dive, and screwing up your next dives, is a highly undesirable option if you have flown halfway around the world to do them.

Tables are not a viable backup when you've been multi-dive/day/level diving a computer, the tables would just tell me I should wait a day, and that I should probably be very bent.

A backup kept in your bag instead of diving with you is not immediately useful as it doesn't have your current deco status.

Using your buddies computer profile is not recommended, because it's never the same as yours. Maybe better than nothing but not really a good backup strategy for deco diving.

The failure points are something like this. In essence they are all user errors or conflicting info errors.
1: you set the wrong mix or don't set it at all, rendering the deco info useless
2. The deco profiles don't match, which one do you believe?
3. It's battery dies because its a secondary piece of gear, and you need it
4. It's another piece of gear that can be lost.

Me I carry a watch computer, tables in my wet notes and a bt that I actually
compute deco with based on a written dive plan in my wet notes from deco planner or vplanner. My buddy carries a computer and backup bt with depth.

I'm not saying backup comps are bad or anything but in reality my computer is my backup to the run schedule plan. I do not fly the computer.

A back up computer I feel is most useful in your bag in case of the primaries failure you switch to for your next dive and splash.

On a recent dive for instance I accidentally triggered the gas switch to my 50% deco bottle at 85 feet, violating the mod AND the dive plan the comp was tracking for both deco and CNS. I at no time switched gasses but the comp plan was toast. My runtime schedule was fine for the dive so I carried on, after switching it back to the correct gas I followed the runtime schedule for the slight deco obligation and had a good dive.
A backup computer would have allowed the same thing but why not default to the lower tech solution that does not rely on electronics?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom