Computer Basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLoaf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone, I am trying to educate myself on dive computers but I dont really know where to start. I dont trust my LDS to not try and sell me the most expensive thing they can find. I see types that go on your wrist and types in clusters.. Are there kinds that remotely monitor your air? I would like to research further ,but like I said, I dont know the first thing about them. I am fairly new to diving, plan do work towards doing dives over 100ft, spearfishing is what I do most right now.
Thanks for any input you have.

I think most LDS will try to help you find a computer that is best for you, since they want you to be happy with it so that you'll come back and buy more gear from them (well, forward thinking shops anyway).

There are many computers that will wirelessly monitor your gas supply, and I use one (Suunto Vyper Air). However, I don't like to rely on it since others have reported intermittent failures, so I also carry a backup spg (small brass one clipped on my left side).

I will also say that I am not all that happy with my Suunto Vyper Air, as it is far too conservative (that may be a good thing for some people). I commonly (jokingly) say that "my computer gives me a safety stop after rinsing it in the bathtub", although it is not quite that bad :)

When I first got the computer, in the original strap, the buttons were easy to press with gloves on (the original boot covers the buttons with large flat surfaces making them easy to press). Since then, I have switched to a bungee mount, and find the buttons a little hard to press with gloves on, but I can't really fault Suunto for this, since they don't make the bungee boot.

Those are about the only things I don't like about the computer, on the positive side, I find the software intuitive, easy to view my history, easy to get to important information while diving. If I really disliked the computer, I would have gotten rid of it long ago, but it is doubtful that my next computer will be a Suunto (because of the conservatism).

Wrist mounted and not console, forget the remote air monitor gimmick, use a trusted spg, find one with a good display easy to read and ease of menu changes. Pretty much all the computers will give you both ndl diving and saturation diving. Different manufacturers and software / algorithm will be somewhat more or less conservative (ascent rate). Thats about it, you have loads to choose from.
I use a very old aladin pro, wrist mounted, been working perfect for 18 years.

r.

Hard question to answer, a big part of finding the right computer is a matter of preference. I dive with a wrist computer (shearwater) and "brass and glass" when diving for my own pleasure.. Diving with the shop, I use an air integrated Sherwood Wisdom which is very nice. I used Suunto Cobra for years and loved it, I now have it on the wifes rig so I can monitor her SAC a little better. With all that said not a fan of wireless remotes, they seem to be more trouble than what they are worth (dead / weak batteries / wrong channel / interference / etc.) Buy a computer for what you need for the environment you dive..

I think a brass SPG and a wrist computer is a good way to go.

Despite all the negativity you will see about air-integrated (AI) wireless computers, it's my opinion and experience that the issues are very over-hyped on the Internet. Mine has over 400 dives without any of the failures or issues people post about. My girlfriend has over 100 on hers without any issues. I do bring a SPG & bottom timer on trips, but so far they've only been used by other people.

Now, would I buy my AI computer again? Probably not, mainly because I'd get a computer more appropriate for technical diving and has an easier to read OLED screen -- something like the Shearwater Predator or Liquivision.

waiting for Alberto.....(DiveNav)

I would start looking at something like the Scubapro Aladdin 2g. which gives you multi gas if you eventually need it and a good light on a solid platform. or something similar such as suunto zoop or viper. these are good mass market computers which also have BT settings and can serve you a long time. I would stay with wrist mounted due flexibility it affords you in your diving. If you spear fishing you need to be able to see it easily and digging a console out to look at your depth is less than optimal over just glancing down the wrist your holding the gun in. Air integration is something that is a personal choice I personally done see the advantage since you would want to have a normal spg as well but that is just me.

Thanks for the input everyone, James R I like your signature, RLTW. Would anyone not sugest buying a used device? I imagine computers dont need anual service like everything else (besides the battery). I know a guy with a display that is mounted in his mask, anyone have experience with these?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom