Gilboa Quarry in January...Invitation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know, I know, I'd have to be a little bit crazy to dive in Gilboa in January, but that is the plan.

For all of you midwestern coldwater divers, it looks like my regular buddy Cldwdiver and myself will be down at Gilboa on Saturday, 3 January for a couple of dives around the middle of the day. We will be driving down from Frankenmuth/Flint and will welcome other 'crazies' who want to get wet the first weekend in January.

This entire plan is dependent on the weather however. If my 1/2 Ton Dodge pickup can't get through the snow to get there, we probably won't make it.

Drop a note here, or send me a private message if you are interested.

Diverbrian, Biscuit7...I mean you!

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
I know, I know, I'd have to be a little bit crazy to dive in Gilboa in January, but that is the plan.

For all of you midwestern coldwater divers, it looks like my regular buddy Cldwdiver and myself will be down at Gilboa on Saturday, 3 January for a couple of dives around the middle of the day. We will be driving down from Frankenmuth/Flint and will welcome other 'crazies' who want to get wet the first weekend in January.

This entire plan is dependent on the weather however. If my 1/2 Ton Dodge pickup can't get through the snow to get there, we probably won't make it.

Drop a note here, or send me a private message if you are interested.

Diverbrian, Biscuit7...I mean you!

If I'm in the area, I can make it.

I was wondering if I'd hear from you about this! You are certainly welcome to join us on this foolishness, I look forward to seeing you again.

I'll update this posting from time to time with finalized times for arrival and so on.

This is going to be a real shock to my system after making 9 dives in the Keys last week. To go from 81 degrees and sunny to quarry diving in January will be a real change!

...to meet us at Gilboa on Saturday, 3 January 2004. We are thinking it'll be a great way to start the new diving year. A couple of us will be driving down from Flint just for the day (no camping this time, too darn cold to sleep out in it....)

Look forward to meeting some of you other mid-west winter diving types!

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
...to meet us at Gilboa on Saturday, 3 January 2004. We are thinking it'll be a great way to start the new diving year. A couple of us will be driving down from Flint just for the day (no camping this time, too darn cold to sleep out in it....)

Look forward to meeting some of you other mid-west winter diving types!

Reserve the cottage... it has a heater...

I am planing on going..

Nothing set in stone yet, but that's the tentative day for bringing the tree up. May be a few more lunatics there as well. Not sure if I'm going to be there or not.....last year there was several inches of snow on the ground and platforms! I had to crawl out on my hands and knees. There was a fellow ahead of me on the platform who did a perfect.....slip, slide, spin, stumble and ker-splash back into the water. After witnessing that......I went for the knees.

...that he had his fins on, and reg in his mouth before all that happened!

I'd pop to the surface, look at my pals and go "TA DA!!!"

Bump to keep this here topic on the page.

Yup, Tom and I are looking to post a couple of early 2004 dives in our logs.
Willing to put up with the minor inconvenience of ice and snow to do it too.

Bring your union-suit to bolster whatever drysuit insulation you wear.

Let's dive!

I am taking Friday off to make sure that my gear is ready. My Christmas present to myself is getting ready to be tested. (That would be my digital underwater camera to replace the one that is now lying on a Florida reef.)

I will most likely be bringing one of my normal dive buddies as well. Take it easy on poor Chris, please. This guy is crazy enough to do this stuff in a wetsuit. He and I did two dives there last year on Jan. 4, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom