Question on 7' Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick question, how would I route and manage my 7' HOG hose with a Hollis Elite 2 Harness with the utility pocket on the right waist strap, and the Hollis S38 Wing?

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The usual way is down your right side, under a can light, knife or belt, up across your chest, around your neck and into your mouth, or clipped off to the right shoulder D ring.

Last edited:
The dir site has good photos to address this

If not using a can light, often people will tuck it into the waist harness on the right side.

The sound of an "Elite harness" probably means fluff. All you need is a simple one piece harness.

I have no idea what the correct way to route it is....but I use a Mares Dragon and I run the hose down my right side under my arm, coil up the extra, and stick the coils in my cummerbund in front as my spare/octo and use the other HOG with the shorter hose as my primary. May not be the "right" configuration but it works great for me.

I have no idea what the correct way to route it is....but I use a Mares Dragon and I run the hose down my right side under my arm, coil up the extra, and stick the coils in my cummerbund in front as my spare/octo and use the other HOG with the shorter hose as my primary. May not be the "right" configuration but it works great for me.

This may work for you, but if the OP is going for a "DIR" or tech-compatible configuration, this is not a good solution. The coil can become undone and trail behind you, or even in the coil can create an entanglement hazard. It still provides the ability to air share single file, but it removes the advantage of donating from a second stage that you know to be working for your suddenly stressed to the max team mate.

As was mentioned, ditch the fancy harness. All that padding adds fabric to trap air and create buoyancy that needs to be compensated for - it's also harder to cut through if you needed to get out of your kit in a tight spot where ditching is impossible. Route the hose down the back of your right side and secure it either under a knife/can light/pocket or just tuck the elbow into your waist band before bringing it up around your left shoulder, behind your head and clipping it off (then unclipping and putting it in your mouth when you're ready to dive).

As with most things - the simplest answer is generally the right one.

I'd lose the Elite harness too(you can reuse just the hardware you need, which means not all of it!) and replace it with a single piece of webbing, but from looking at it, you should be able to tuck the excess hose under the waist strap. The S-drill will ensure that you can fully deploy the long hose without lt becoming entangled.

For those that aren't using a DIR harness but are using a long hose, have you practiced deploying and restowing many times, in many situations? How well does it work? Just curious as I've always used a hogarthian harness.

What harness would you guys recommend? Like a Hollis Solo?

Oh, and by the way, the Elite 2 harness has quick release options on the shoulders and waist, so getting out quickly isn't a problem

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom