A Short Dive Report From Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went with a couple of dive buddies out to the Col. A.B. Williams wreck located in southern Lake Huron. I got to do 2 dives on her. She is a 110' schooner that sank way back in 1864. The lake was a bit choppy which made for a slow and splashy ride out and back. Vis was about 40 to 50 feet and the temp at the bottom (79 feet) was 48 degrees. The Williams is a beautiful wreck, pretty much intact except for her cabin (missing) and her masts which lay partially buried in the sand off her starboard side.
Good dives!!

This is one of my favorite wrecks in the Sanilac preserve. The bow on her is stunning. Also, the stern is blown out on her. A short distance away in the New York She lacks a bow but has a stunning stern. :)

Has anybody ever seen that wreck when vis was beyond 10ft?

Every time I dive the New York, vis does not seem to get past 10ft. I have seen the Williams at 60ft of vis the day after.

Bone Toucher I have always acknowledged that if I zig everyone else should zag. And it is on the New York where you better zag because I will always take you in the wrong direction.

I have been lucky on the New York to have pretty good viz--typically 20 or so feet. It is a relatively (Bone Grabber, I am using the word relative since you now enjoy diving in completely night) dark wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom