Hogan dive plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I will be diving the Hogan down in San Diego. It sits at 125-130 feet and we will be doing a 30 min dive at 125-130ft with deco afterwards. double 100 X7s one 28-29% with an AL40 with 40% for deco. This is my dive plan on vplanner:

Dec to 130ft (2) Nitrox 28 50ft/min descent.
Level 130ft 27:24 (30) Nitrox 28 1.38 ppO2, 116ft ead
Asc to 90ft (31) Nitrox 28 -30ft/min ascent.
Asc to 50ft (32) Nitrox 40 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 50ft 0:20 (33) Nitrox 40 1.00 ppO2, 30ft ead
Stop at 40ft 3:00 (36) Nitrox 40 0.88 ppO2, 22ft ead
Stop at 30ft 3:00 (39) Nitrox 40 0.76 ppO2, 15ft ead
Stop at 20ft 6:00 (45) Nitrox 40 0.64 ppO2, 7ft ead
Stop at 10ft 11:00 (56) Nitrox 40 0.52 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (56) Nitrox 40 -30ft/min ascent.

Look okay? Any changes anyone would make to the Vplanner dive?

you should dive the plan that you and your buddy are happy with.

if i only had those 2 gases i might look at a 25m stop for 1 min and possibly get on the 40% a bit deeper to reduce deco.

depends how confident you are with the true depth on the day.
if the wreck stands up from the bottom you might find that a 30% mix will do the whole dive for the same time without the need for the stage.
on the other hand you could go for a 50% stage for more accelerated deco.

2p

Personally I do that dive entirely different. But I suspect it's because I have access to more gas options.
If I were going to use those gasses, like mala, I'd get on the 40% sooner... like at the 1.6 mark.

Be careful down there. Currents can be swift.

Do you have the option of using a light trimix? And why 40% for deco, instead of 50% or 100%?

I do not have the option of using a light trimix. I went with 40% because that was what my buddy was going to use, probably because it was the highest O2 mix most people could easily get a hold of. Although, I believe he can get a higher blend and so could I so nothing is really stopping us from going higher.

I personally prefer to switch sooner (50% at 70) - helps mitigate how much reserve gas i need to carry.

It's a solid 120' dive (average depth).

i wouldnt bother with trimix on a 40m dive unless i was on a rb.

the gas choice is yours-there is no right or wrong.

the higher the deco mix the shorter the deco but also the less depth you can use it-if time/cold water is a concern i would go for a rich mix.
if i wanted a more flexible gas depth wise i would look at a weaker mix.

its your dive.

Did USS Hogan earlier this year; very nice --huge schooling of Rockfish; a dive-bombing playful Sea Lion and a juvenile Mola-Mola. Good viz to 15m with fair clarity; water temperature at depth 12deg C.

Ratio Deco 1:1 Profile on Air with double AL80's (twin 11L) and an AL40 (5.5L) deco bottle of Oxygen:

39m 30min
36m 0.3min
33m 0.3min
30m 0.3min
27m 0.3min
24m 0.3min
21m 1min
18m 1min
15m 2min
12m 3min
9m 3min
6m 4min (O2 switch)
--> ascend 1m/min to surface on O2 (6min).

Used X-scooter to reduce physical exertion and narcosis (otherwise I would recommend 25/25 triox and O2 deco if finning around to see the entire wreck).

Humboldt Diveboat used live drop-off/pick-up around a separate large marker buoy/downline/weighted anchor, with initial divers fixing anchor onto wreck and last diver to egress (me!) untying & drifting along with downline. (In contrast, Marissa Diveboat directly anchors nearby and remains stationary).

Recommend tying onto or nearby location of anchor/upline/downline with a reel in case the viz at depth is dark & murky. Also, Hogan wreck's forward and aft sections are separated --you might have to use a reel to connect & externally tour these parts as well. . .

Hogan

Last edited:
Boat Dive?

You might want to make your last stop at 20 fsw due to wave action etc. or Do the 10 fsw stop on the anchor line instead of the lead line (if they rig the boa this way).
plan run time with last stop at 20 fsw is 59 minutes, if you cut the dive to 25 minutes bottom then the net is a run tim eof 47 minutes with the 20fsw stop on 40%.
I am assuming O2 is not advailable or you are diving outside of the rec range with this.

you will need to rework the plans of course in v-planner to get the stops.

Be safe.

Gas-wise I like to keep the mixes simple unless you really need it. Might as well save the money for Trimix for diving the Monitor or something else.
For 130 ish I stick to doubles w/ Air & then a single Deco cylinder either 50% or 100%. I was lucky enough to be on first dive boat trip to Hogan way back when Darren ran the charter out there. (he was killed along with his son in that tragic accident on the Moody)
Me and buddy were 1st divers on the bottom, I landed on the bottom on top of a detached porthole laying loose on the bottom. Swimming along the pilothouse were rows of complete portholes. A month later all ports were gone along with much of that metal structure by the salvors ?
I have been fortunate to always have excellant vis out there sometimes over 75', marine life has been always neat out there, but in the early days it was even better. Still a fun wreck to dive and there are supposedly others in the area.

Back
Top Bottom