The finicky Luna ascent rate alarm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
According to the manual, there is a variable ascent rate for the Luna based on your depth. I don't know about anyone else but I find it to be a bit touchy. I understand the concept and need for a slow ascent rate but it alarms when you reach 110% of their "ideal value" for an ascent rate. This creates a lot of alarms, especially when working with students. According to their chart, here are the "ideal" ascent rates:

All in feet/feet per minute

Feet - Ideal Rate
<20 23
<40 26
<60 29
<75 33
<88 36
<101 43
<115 49
<128 56
<144 59
<164 62
>164 66

There is no adjustment for this alarm, you cannot do anything about it. So when you are coming up at a slow 30fpm from a shallow 60' reef dive, you are alarming like crazy.

Anyone else have this issue on ascent with the Luna?

It has never been a problem with my Luna, but I try my best not to yo-yo. Even if it was, I keep mine in "All-silent" mode anyway. Not a fan of audible alarms.

I use to have a problem with the workload alarm but that I adjusted.
I have never had an alarm sound for coming up to slow before, maybe if I came up to quick but now I have mine on silent. No sound.
According to the manual, there is a variable ascent rate for the Luna based on your depth.
Are you sure they do not mean the PDIS function?

Ok. I have just re-read the manual.
The Luna changes the ascent rate depending on depth. It means you can ascend quicker from depth but have to slow down the higher you get.
If the alarm is ringing then I suggest you slow down. The alarm will get louder the more you exceed the 110%.

Or, just tap in 313 and remove the alarms altogether.

Last edited:
According to the manual, there is a variable ascent rate for the Luna based on your depth. I don't know about anyone else but I find it to be a bit touchy. I understand the concept and need for a slow ascent rate but it alarms when you reach 110% of their "ideal value" for an ascent rate. This creates a lot of alarms, especially when working with students. According to their chart, here are the "ideal" ascent rates:

All in feet/feet per minute

Feet - Ideal Rate
<20 23
<40 26
<60 29
<75 33
<88 36
<101 43
<115 49
<128 56
<144 59
<164 62
>164 66

There is no adjustment for this alarm, you cannot do anything about it. So when you are coming up at a slow 30fpm from a shallow 60' reef dive, you are alarming like crazy.

Anyone else have this issue on ascent with the Luna?
I have the Sol which is the same, and don't really see the problem. Just slow down a bit and you won't get the alarm. That's the whole idea of the variable ascent rate so why fight it. When you get shallow it's best to ascend slower than 30 ft/min. If I get the alarm I stop and ascend more slowly. I tend to get the alarm in the last ascent from 15 ft, but the alarm has validity as that should be very slow.

This creates more of an issue training students from a 25' platform when you have to accompany them to the surface. We teach them not to exceed 60fpm and like to see no more than 30 which is nice and slow. That slow ascent still triggers the alarm from that shallow depth. It is more of a nuisance but again, I do understand the importance.

Might want to try asking over in the Scubapro forum, or maybe give them a call - 619-402-1023 or 800-467-2822.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom