Ikelite DS-161. Love the strobe, hate the arm...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

I've had my Ikelite housing and DS-161 strobe setup for a year or so now. I love the housing and strobe but the arm is just terrible. The clamps have to be cranked down SO hard to keep the head in the right position. Then it literally takes two hands to loosen it enough to move.

I finally just changed it out for this :

Ultralight Control Systems Strobe Arm Package for Underwater Cameras

You basically just pick the parts you need. For the DS-161, it's the same adapter as the DS-160. Just pick the rest to match your setup. They also offer a double-arm package if you really want to get the strobe out there. Anyway, kind of annoying to have to put another $153 into it but it sure makes the entire rig a LOT easier to use.

I wish Ikelite would just get out of the "arm business" and farm it out to someone that makes quality parts.

-Charles

have the arm here and no issues with it..it really is not to support the strobe above water but to support it uw and be easy to adjust/aim with.

Of course it's for use underwater. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum knows that.

If it works for you then so much the better. I got really tired of having to overtighten everything to keep a setting and then needing two hands to loosen it enough to adjust again.

If you ever use a proper arm with O-Rings you'll never go back.

-Charles

Gang,

I've had my Ikelite housing and DS-161 strobe setup for a year or so now. I love the housing and strobe but the arm is just terrible. The clamps have to be cranked down SO hard to keep the head in the right position. Then it literally takes two hands to loosen it enough to move.

I finally just changed it out for this :

Ultralight Control Systems Strobe Arm Package for Underwater Cameras

You basically just pick the parts you need. For the DS-161, it's the same adapter as the DS-160. Just pick the rest to match your setup. They also offer a double-arm package if you really want to get the strobe out there. Anyway, kind of annoying to have to put another $153 into it but it sure makes the entire rig a LOT easier to use.

I wish Ikelite would just get out of the "arm business" and farm it out to someone that makes quality parts.

-Charles

Charles,

Ikelite arms are designed specifically for "underwater" use. Once they have been tightened on land, the arms can easily be repositioned underwater without loosening and retightening. Simply fold your strobe(s) down next to the housing before your dive. Once in the water you will quickly and easily be able to reposition the strobe(s) to match your shooting situation.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

I have used a "proper" arm with O-ring and also the Ikelite arms,I see absolutly no difference .They both perform the same U/W.

Once in the water you will quickly and easily be able to reposition the strobe(s) to match your shooting situation.

Brett,

Let me clarify a bit. My current setup is a Canon G12, Ikelite G12 housing and Ikelite DS-161 strobe kit. I bought this setup a little over a year ago and have been using it "box stock" until recently. I love the housing and the strobe. I really hate the arms and clamps. Take a closer look at what I did for the replacement:

Clamp: Ultralight New Style Clamp (15 degrees side movement)

Arm: Ultralight 5" Double Ball Arm segment

Those O-Rings on the ball-end of the arm make a huge difference. They allow me to tighten the clamp with one hand tight enough to hold position, but loose enough to make small changes. I could not do this with the stock clamps and arms.

If you've never used arms and clamps like this then you really can't understand what I'm saying. I really tried to keep my setup stock because I'm a huge Ikelite fan. After a year and 5 or 6 trips I just couldn't leave it anymore. It's too frustrating and I'm missing shots.

I love Ikelite and advocate your gear everywhere I go but I wish you'd take a closer look at the aftermarket arms and clamps. If these didn't work or add any value, then I doubt anyone would be buying them.

Thanks!

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom