Focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Howdy folks,

I've just purchased my first housing for my D7000, went with the new version of the Nauticam, along with a pair of S&S YS-D1 strobes and Zen 100 mini-dome for Tokina 10-17. This will primarily be a travel rig and I'm curious if I need to consider adding a focus/video light. I'll be shooting primarily stills and I know the YS-D1 technically have focus lights on them but have heard that using on-strobe focus lights while shooting can lead to overheating problems? With almost 7k into the rig I'd like to minimize additional expenses for the time being, but also want to ensure I'm in good shape for an upcoming trip to Thailand.

Thanks in advance,
-E

The built-in LED target light not that strong. It is certainly not even close to being a focus or video light. But it is nice to have as a back-up light.
if you want good focus light use L&M sola. sola 1200 with red led is one of the best in the market..

Thanks Amir, I was afraid that was going to be the case. So assuming I need to by a focus light I have a couple questions.

1) What is the best way to attach the focus light to the arms/housing? I'm using ultralight 2x5" and 2x8" arms.
2) Is is possible to use a single light as both focus light and video light, on an on demand basis? I understand the recommendation for red LEDs for a focus light but if mid dive I need to switch to video mode I'm assuming I'll need a white LED. How do most folks deal with this requirement?

Actually a good "focus" light can serve three purposes. Can be your focus light, video light and night dive light. As usual the more powerful the better. Typically it would be mounted on one your housing ball mounts, strobes being mounted on your handles. If you are planing to shoot a lot of video some like to mount the "focus" light out on a arm using some form of Triple Clamp. Some Nauticam macro ports have a hot shoe mount were you can put the focus light.

Power of the light comes into play when dealing with Video, the more power the larger subjects you can get that great HD video of. The Sola 1200 is an excellent choice, http://www.opticaloceansales.com/light-motion/sola-lights/sola-photo-1200-light/prod_1062.html but of course budget plays a role. With the Tokina 10-17mm and a 1200 you would be able to cover diver/big fan and get nice color for your video. There are many options http://www.opticaloceansales.com/fo...h-video-pro4-focus/video-light/prod_1172.html once you come to terms with what you can spend. But to serve all there functions you want a light a minimum of 500 lumens, again more being better.

The red option is nice. On most "focus" lights that offer the red is just a matter of pushing a button to cycle from white to red, so no big deal to go from red focus to white video. The iTorch Pro Mini, 750 lumens, http://www.opticaloceansales.com/focus-video-lights/itorch-pro-mini-focus/video-light/prod_1171.html comes with a red filter you can pop on and off. Lots of options but now the great rationalization is "I can spend a little more because I this light can do everything!" lol

Last edited:
MJH, gave you a very good answer.

For daylight shooting, you really probably do not need a focus light very often with the 10-17. I have used a small flash light secured either to the housing or a housing arm as a focus light. It is better to have a dedicated focus light. The red focus lights have the benefit of seeming to not bother the critters as much. Many animals will move to avoid a bright white light which sort of defeats the purpose of a focus light.

Thanks guys,

MJH that's great info, thanks for taking the time. I think I've pretty much decided to go with the sola 1200, but will probably wait until a little closer to the first trip (Nov). My mind is still a little blown at how much money I burned through this week on the housing, lens, port, arms, optical cables, and strobes. Need a little time to recover from the pain. That being said, I truly appreciate the guidance.

-E

The Ikelite Mini-C makes an adequate focus light. I used them for about 15 years and about 2000 dives. They are inexpensive, and Ultralight has a nice mount. Then I won a Sola 1200 Video light in the Monterey Shootout last year. WOW. Unfortunately, I loaned it to Adm. Linda to try and had to buy her one for Christmas to get it back.

The down side of red filters is that they remove 2/3 of the photons (the green and blue).

Chuck

Thanks, but my understanding is the Sola doesn't require a filter. If you want the red focus light you flip the switch one way. If you need white for video/night dive you just flip the switch to the correct setting.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You are not missing anything. On the Sola's you just push the power selector forward for white light, back for red. On the iTorch you just keep pushing the button and it cycles through white then red.

Thanks, but my understanding is the Sola doesn't require a filter. If you want the red focus light you flip the switch one way. If you need white for video/night dive you just flip the switch to the correct setting.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It depends on which Sola. The Sola Video light is white only, and switches between flood and spot. The Sola focus light switches between white and red.

Back
Top Bottom