PNG, Komodo or Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a family dive trip for next summer (late July or August). I've run the searches, read every post I could, consulted my Undercurrent Chapbooks for the last five years and pm'd some board members, but I still need some advice. I'm hoping to do about two weeks (excluding travel time) in one of these three places. If it's Komodo or PNG, I would probably split the time between a shorter, one week, liveaboard and land. I'm inclined from what I've read to think that PNG is superior to either Komodo or Wakatobi, but I'm not sure and I remain a bit nervous about resistant malaria in PNG. (One of the divers is my 12 year old son.)

So where would you go? Which has the best diving? Which would be the most fun? And if you say PNG, where would you go?

I just got back from PNG and had the time of my life, I have dived a lot of the world and this is the best. The resort I used is Walindi Plantion on the Is of New Briton, there are two live-aboards that also leave from Walindi. I do believe there is baby siting at Walindi also ( the locals love young ones ) if you need it. Take a look at my post PNG coral sea GBR and there is a link to Walindi.
If I can be of anymore help give me a E.
David

reubencahn once bubbled...
I'm trying to put together a family dive trip for next summer (late July or August). I've run the searches, read every post I could, consulted my Undercurrent Chapbooks for the last five years and pm'd some board members, but I still need some advice. I'm hoping to do about two weeks (excluding travel time) in one of these three places. If it's Komodo or PNG, I would probably split the time between a shorter, one week, liveaboard and land. I'm inclined from what I've read to think that PNG is superior to either Komodo or Wakatobi, but I'm not sure and I remain a bit nervous about resistant malaria in PNG. (One of the divers is my 12 year old son.)

So where would you go? Which has the best diving? Which would be the most fun? And if you say PNG, where would you go?

No advice from me on this one, Reuben. My daughter and I did a week on the Paradise Sport out of Kavieng a few years ago and were pleased, but I have no personal experience with any of the other locations you mentioned.

Good luck and let me know your selection and experience.

Say "Hi!" to wife and son!

I did a weeks LOB based out of Kavieng PNG, flew into Port moresby and right away onto kavieng. Spent two nights in Kavieng on the way back, whilst fantastic diving and enjoyable rest on way back, PNG is still pretty frontier stuff, we were warned out of staying in moresby by a friend of a friend who lives there behind 6 foot barbed wire, with his secutiry guards and pack of dogs. and whilst in kavieng we were recounted with a story of a shoot out on the beach. Interesting place but this was a few years ago now so maybe its changed. During the weeks diving my GF got some cut on her ankle, she was fine offshore but didnt think about covering the wound and when we got back to shore she got an infection in it. By all means go it is a great place but be aware of the risks.

Although have to say we didnt see any trouble and didnt feel threatened.

If you choose Komodo, I think you are pretty much stuck with liveaboard. Technically you can stay in Labuan Bajo but it is a very small town with nothing much. I think you probably would be more comfortable on a liveaboard. If you have 2 weeks, it would ideal to do Komodo-Alor or Komodo-Sangian (sp?) combined.
You can spend one half day for a little trekking on Komodo Island to look at the Komodo Dragon. Water can be cold (well, relatively for SE Asia) in August. Northern part will be around 26C while South Rinca (Carnibal Rock, Crinoid Wall etc) will be around 21C.
I have not been to PNG before so I am not sure how it would compare but I also plan to go back to Komodo next August.

Went twice to Komodo and really loved the diving. Unfortunately haven't been to PNG nor Wakatobi yet. All I can say is that I enjoyed much more than Thailand and Maldives.

If you decide to go to Komodo, you have to do a live aboard - I would recommend to avoid the ones leaving from Bali as the cruise is long and dive sites on the way are not outstanding; try a boat which leaves from Labuanbajo or Sumbawa.

frogfish once bubbled...

If you decide to go to Komodo, you have to do a live aboard - I would recommend to avoid the ones leaving from Bali as the cruise is long and dive sites on the way are not outstanding; try a boat which leaves from Labuanbajo or Sumbawa. [/B]

Can you recommend any boats that leave from those ports?

You can try Grand Komodo at www.komodoalordive.com/ . It is a local live aboard, the boat is basic but quite comfortable. I used them last August and would recommend them. Try to get on a trip with their big boat, Temu Kira as it is the most comfortable.
For my next trip, I think I will go with Aqua One at www.dive-aquasports.com . They are a bit more expensive but much more comfortable boat. They are not local boats but have 2 Indonesian dive guides work full time on their boat who seem to know Komodo quite well and they also use local diveguides through Grand Komodo as well.

For both, you will have to fly to Bali and they can arrange local flight from Bali to either Bima and transfer to the port or Labuan Bajo depending on the trip.

Aqua One looks great but they're all booked up for the summer. Grand Komodo may be more rustic than my wife will tolerate. I've made that mistake before. But Komodo with some time in Bali seems like it would work for us. It's hard deciding. I've always wanted to go to PNG as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom