Wing drains, how to speed them up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude_LA

Contributor
Reaction score
Last known coordinates: Western Hemisphere
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have four DR wings including the one on my Nomad. All are the EXP (only the Nomad is XT) style. I find that the wings hold a lot of water and drain slowly after a dive, manageable but very heavy making exits a little heavier than needed at times, we often hand our gear up to a topside person while still in the water. Really an issue on the 60lb wing with doubles.

I was thinking I could install some more/larger grommets on the bottom to help. But I do have a commercial sewing machine and was thinking I could sew in some mesh material in place of the grommets. Any reason this would be an issue? Obviously the bladder might be less protected.

thx.

Hi,

We've got a few avid wreck divers on staff and they simply inflate their wing fully at the surface, which forces out any water trapped between the outer bag and the bladder. We do not recommend additional grommets as this may fray the material and provide larger points for water entry and/or potential puncturing of the wing. It also voids our lifetime warranty.

Try to see if inflation works and let me know if you're still having a problem or something else might be amiss.

Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom