Diving the wreck of the JB King in Brockville Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skippy31

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well Mike and I had a chance to dive the JB King Yesterday. For those not familiar with the wreck it was a 140 foot long drilling barge that exploded and sank in the Brockville narrows in 1930. The barge had TNT on board and lightening stuck it causing an explosion. The debris is spread over a large area from about 90 feet to 160 feet depth.

We explored most the wreckage and then drifted off the site to complete our deco.

[video=youtube;jCNzY9aoFrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCNzY9aoFrc[/video]

Hi Matt, Nice dive!! How long were you down for? I noticed you had dual tanks. Maybe my next choice for diving.
Rebreather is way too expensive at this time.

When they describe the JB King as being broke up they are not kidding. Thanks for the video

When they describe the JB King as being broke up they are not kidding. Thanks for the video

I have a copy of the barges tool maifest there is a MK V divers helmet somewere barried under all that mess I used to dive her weekly some 15 year back with my buddy theres also a second wreck just off her side its tricky to find but she is there in the channel. nice video.

Hi Matt, Nice dive!! How long were you down for? I noticed you had dual tanks. Maybe my next choice for diving.
Rebreather is way too expensive at this time.

Hey Ted,

This dive was about 60 minutes long with about 30 minutes of bottom time and 30 minutes of deco. Yup dual tanks are required to provide enough gas for this dive. We also carried a stage (deco) tank each as well.

Mat.

---------- Post Merged at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Yup,

The JB King is well "broken up" well actually it exploded! Have not seen any diving helmets on her yet. Maybe one of these days :)

Thanks for the comments.

Mat.

Last edited:
I will be diving kingston july 7-8 should be nice, hoping to see some nice wrecks out there.
Hows the water? I have a 13mm full suit and hood.

Water in the river is 69F but it will be cooler below the thermocline in Kingston of course.

Mat

Turns out below the thermalcline I had temps around 56f to 59f depending the wreck and depth. went to 95 ft at one of them. saw 4 wrecks,
George T Marsh at 80ft and 51F
the Commet at roughly the same
George T Davies at 75Ft was 56F
The Glendora 75F was 56F

All were beautiful wrecks, wish the visibility was like the caribean though. :)

Hi Skippy

Did you access the King from shore? if so where was your entry and path to take to the wreck? were you scootering?

The site is accessed either from the Bay on Cockburn Island or by charter boat. This is quite an advanced dive so diving the wreck is best done with someone who as been there before if doing it for the first time.

Mat.

Back
Top Bottom