FL Marine Feeding Ban Passed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
After two years and five public input and discussion sessions on the issue, a Florida marine feeding ban has been approved.

As reported in my Feb ’01 “Undercurrent” article on the subject, on Sep 7, ’00 the Florida’s Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWCC) ignored its previous recommendation for a shark feeding ban. Instead, it urged the various factions to work together to recommend a set of standards for safe organized marine feedings.

At their May 23-25, ‘01 meetings, the commission considered the dive industry’s “Florida Guidelines and Management Practices for Interactive Marine Experiences,” a set of standards produced by the Global Interactive Marine Experiences Council (GIMEC).

Apparently less than impressed with this effort, the FWCC directed state biologists and other staff to review and refine the proposed guidelines. In particular, the Commission asked that issues of species being fed, distance from beaches and natural reefs that feeding occurs, and whether the touching or handling of marine life is permissible, be addressed. These issues were slated for discussion at the next commission meeting in early Nov ’01.

In the interim, a number of spectacular and highly publicized shark attacks took place off the Florida coasts and in Grand Bahama. As a result, tourism suffered badly and it is quite likely that the FWCC came under pressure to ban.

In any event, at their session on Nov 1, after hearing public comment from the approximately 60 persons in attendance, the commission ruled to ban all marine life feeding by divers, and to prohibit vessel-for-hire operators from transporting passengers to any sites to observe fish feeding. The rule takes effect Jan 1, ’02 unless derailed by a dive industry appeal, which is being considering.

This ruling is subject to approval by the Governor, and this is a near certainty, as well as to several chapters in Florida law. If contested, state legislators will have to decide whether or not to fully enforce the ban.

For better or for worse.

DocVikingo

Why should our Marines go hungry, while their comrades from places like Georgia and Texas eat??? Why only the FLorida Marines? Why not the Florida Navy too??? I promise that we will teach them to count... no I mean it!

:tease:

On a non-humurous note, I don't see how they are going to able to enforce it, but I would never go on such a dive either. I don't like seeing natural creatures act un-naturally.

Yet another piece of proof that stupidy does make a difference in the world. So now when there are more attacks what will be the scapegoat....

Oooh....Oooh....pick me, pick me (to quote Donkey)

They will say it is boat motor noise, so now boats cannot have motors, only sails and oars.... That'll stop nature dead in it's tracks and no one will ever be attacked again....

Maybe the swimmers should use shark repellant, aka stay out of the water, or accept the fact that we cannot control it....

You can still feed them, you just have to kill them when your done. Just like the other "sportsmen" do. That is still perfectly legal.

:monster:

Next they will target the SPEARFISHERMAN!
Tag lines attract sharks!

:grrr:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom