MRS plus... dodgy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam the Flatulent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this was brought up a couple of months back, but I was just wondering if anybody else has any input on the MRS plus system. Is it dodgy?
Some sources say yes, and some say no. So, I thought, rather than reading more and more reviews, I'll ask people who dive with this system. :)

Ta muchly.

I had it in the Mares Icon I use to have. I even new about the problem and bought an additional 2 weight pockets when I bought the BCD, just in case. Tried using it twice while fun diving and the weight pocket on one side refused to stay in. It wasn't coming unlatched but the actual weight pocket kept tumbling out of it's hole and would just hang there by the quick release buckle until I shoved it back in and held it there with my hand. 2 ruined dives was enough for me to switch back to a weight belt and disregard the MRS altogether. After inspecting the pocket the only thing I could figure out was that there are two peices of webbing on each pocket that go from the handle through a plastic plate on the weight pocket (thus attaching the 2). The webbing is doubled back on itself and stitched together but the double folding does not make the webbing thick enough to prevent it from unthreading itself through the plastic plate. For whatever reason, they neglected to just sew the 2 pieces of webbing together, forming a loop that would have to come unsewn in order for them to fail. I was considering doing this myself but I'm certain it would have voided any warranties. Luckily my bladder sprung a leak so I just sent it back and ended up getting a new BCD from another manufacturer so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. Just from the fact that they have a reputation for failure, I'd look elsewhere. An unexpected ride to the surface is not fun for anybody.

With the newer models of the MRS system they seemed to have ironed the kinks out. I bought a Mares Dragon this year, put it through extensive testing, and it held up to every single one.

Though I will admit, they are NOT robust or very reliable looking, they get the job done. That being said, I have started a lot of GUE mentoring and tech training, so I've almost exclusively switched to BP/W and 7' Long hose setup. That's a different conversation for a different day, though.

Bottom line, the Mares Dragon and the MRS weight system are good, solid combination. But honestly, if it's a jacket style you're going for, go with a back inflate (FLAME SHIELD ON) you'll save yourself so much money when it finally clicks in your head down the road that it's a better system. ScubaPro KnightHawk, Zeagle Ranger, or, if you want, consult Jim Lapenta (that's his username) here on the board and I'm fairly sure he can help you get geared up in a nice new BP/W setup if you're interested in going that route.

Just left one of the pockets from my Dragon on the bottom in several hundred feet of water off Daedalus Reef in the Red Sea in late June: the pocket dropped on contact with the water during the giant stride off the boat, and that was that for that dive. Finished up the rest of the week (with Blue O2) using a good old weight belt, and in so doing reminded myself of just why I hate the damned things so much. I will be modifying the releases on the replacement pockets to make them more secure, as well as always carrying spares: the BC is well out of warranty, so I can screw with it to my heart's content. Bottom line: really like the BC, but not a fan of the releases. The releases on my wife's Cressi Travelight are much more secure.

I have a Pegasus with MRS and have lost 2 pockets (1 on two separate occasions) But They were lobster dives , a lotta tumbling around and I'm gonna chalk it up to not paying more attention to keeping weight releases clean(found some sand in releases when checking pockets) But I have to say for 1st 80 dives no problems. I now dive BP/W ,but I'll keep my Mares for future vacation use.

I've own my Mares Prestige BCD for about two months now, and no issues. The most weight I've ever added to each pocket was 8lbs. The MRS system held up with no problem in the local pool, quarry, and ocean. I a newbie at diving so I still do a lot of moving around in the water, including bumping on underwater attractions at Dutch Springs scuba park.

So far so good. My first boat dive will be next week.:D

Hello,

you are not alone. This has happened to me a total of 6 times. After the 1st incident, I always made sure the pouch was inserted correctly and the buckle was snapped in (plus had others double check). For details and more incident with the infamous Mares MRS plus weight pouches, check this thread: Uncontrolled ascent!! - Loss of a Weight Insert for Mares Prestige BCD pocket )

I've lost one and had a zipper break i allways bang them in with my palm and fold the handle in to make sure they're locked.just in case i picked up a used pocket on e bay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom