Leaving line in wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If you are one of the many wreck divers who lay line even in artificial reefs, no matter how many cut-outs they have then great. That shows good diving habits and discipline. If you are one of those that leave the line in there thinking you will get it later or you are somehow contributing to the safety of others well let me share this with you. YOU ARE NOT!
I do most of my wreck classes in artificial reefs. They are somewhat safer and due to my familiarity with them they are a more controlled environment. The one uncontrolled aspect of using these popular sites is unless I go in the day before and clean out the spider web of abandoned line in the area I am conducting my class I can not be sure my students are entering into a safe, controlled area.
I would like to ask all wreck divers to please consider others and clean up after yourselves.
Thanks for reading.

That's borderline criminal, I can't imagine a scenario in which you would leave line. Nice to get a polite reminder out there.

If the line is going to get left in at the very least wrap in around something every 10'-20' so its not floating around.

Every real wreck I have ever dove is loaded with line or nets or lobster traps

including some of my own

Sorry

I have never seen a fishnet or lobster trap inside a wreck

Every real wreck I have ever dove is loaded with line or nets or lobster traps

including some of my own

Sorry

You didn't know there were lobsters on the Cape Breton?

I definitely agree on artificial stuff. Clean your crap up unless it's a project out of others way
Some of the wrecks we dive are just a mess of anchor lines cut traps lost and old moorings

A clean up would be nice but not feasible

I definitely agree on artificial stuff. Clean your crap up unless it's a project out of others way
Some of the wrecks we dive are just a mess of anchor lines cut traps lost and old moorings

A clean up would be nice but not feasible

If you can imagine it, you can do it. Or it may just cost more in line and reels and ........:) How's the Voulnd tackle, line,reel, recovery project going? Did you guys dive her yesterday?

While I agree that most lines should be recovered, I tend to think it's more the wreck - and hence the diver - that makes the difference.

We probably all agree that in the more "recreational" wrecks that all lines should be recovered, and I would wager that most are. But on the deeper ones say over 300 fsw, or more complex penetrations like in or thru an engine room deep in the bowls of a wreck, I can see leaving one in.

The deeper and more complex penetrations are usually made by experienced divers. Generally those divers have a much better understanding of line placement and tie offs. Since these wrecks are usually too deep or too complex for the recreational crew, I don't see many technical divers adding to the confusion by running parallel lines.

The caves have line committees that establish where lines are to go, and routinely clean up lines that have been added that serve no function. We don't have those committees for the deeper or more complex wreck penetrations, so self policing must be the rule.

So, I generally agree with the original post, but understand why exceptions are made or can be made depending on the wreck or where it is.

Back
Top Bottom