Niagara River Drift Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Morning

Just packing up my gear for a Niagara River drift dive this am, organized by Dan's, entering at Netherby Road Boat launch. My first dive in the river, looking forward to it.

Good hot day, will be nice to be in the river when i have 7 mm on. 9 am if anyone is interested to coming out.

---------- Post Merged at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Great Dive today

temps about 63 f, vis about 10 ft and the current just ripping, had an encounter with a rather large and unexpected fish, who slapped me in the face. I was surprised how little garbage was under the water, but maybe it is just the area. ~2 km drift dive in about 35 mins, short surface float

I did another dive in the river Wednesday night. Had a three diver group, so it added to the buddy dynamic in the current. Got in at train bridge.

Water temps at about 76 f and vis at about 15 ft. Lots of fish on this dive, some rather large ones too. There was a high amount of boat traffic here, so I made sure there was no surfacing until I was in the longer weeds along the shore

Diving the river again this evening. Looking forward to it.

Calling for a bit of a cooldown, so maybe it wont be brutal hanging out in my wetsuit

---------- Post Merged on July 26th, 2012 at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was on July 25th, 2012 at 06:13 AM ----------

Well, it was not all that cool last night, so I utilized the water to cool down.. There were about 20 people that came out last night for the drift dive, a good group.

Current was not as ripping as it has been the last couple weeks. I got 45 minutes of dive time done with about 1000 still in my tank. My buddy started having some equalizing issues and was wearing a brand spanking new 7 mm. So all is good.

Vis was probably between 10-15 feet and water temps in mid to upper 70's. I forgot to look while on dive, but at surface it was 77. Entered at Black creek area, exited about 2 k away

Where do you typically enter (GPS coordinates or maybe a link to a point on a map)? I would love to try a river dive someday but it would take some planning considering I am not quite local.

Edit.......I found Black Creek where it hits the river. Is that a fairly common entry point? How often do you guys get out?

We were going to try it as our local dive shop stated it was an all levels dive. However the other months river dive was Advanced/drift so looked like a misprint but the counter guy at the store said it would be fine?/??. We are quite new and my son is only 11.

What is the difficulty?

We were going to try it as our local dive shop stated it was an all levels dive. However the other months river dive was Advanced/drift so looked like a misprint but the counter guy at the store said it would be fine?/??. We are quite new and my son is only 11.

What is the difficulty?

While I cannot speak about niagara river since I have not done it. Chippawa creek was fairly easy. I would still recommend going with experienced divers if you have not done drift diving before.
Make sure to have a SMB because there is boat traffic

Entry is on the south side of the river about 1km from downtown bridge. 45min drift should take you to the stanley bridge 2-2.5 km down the road

hows the niagara river drift dive in comparison to chippawa creek?

About the same in vis and current, but the Chippawa Creek has much more stuff to look at, the Niagara Section is alot of zebra mussels and grass, a few fish. The Chippewa creek has a couple cars, bikes, etc

Where do you typically enter (GPS coordinates or maybe a link to a point on a map)? I would love to try a river dive someday but it would take some planning considering I am not quite local.

Edit.......I found Black Creek where it hits the river. Is that a fairly common entry point? How often do you guys get out?

I have dove black creek a few times, I much prefer by Feuru bldg and the International train bridge. Fast current, you are sailing above the bottom at a couple knots. Quite fun and refreshing. Black creek, there is not much to see out from there, and the current is start and slow in quite a few spots

The LDS I dive with tend to hit the river Wednesday nights and a scattered weekend morning. Follow Dans Dive Shop on FB, the details are normally there a few days before. Acton only about 90 mins from here

What is the difficulty?

If you can control your buoyancy you will be ok. It is super important you do not surface without an SMB, the Niagara River is very busy with rec boaters. There is nothing you can really get in trouble with, just long slow breaths and enjoy your flight. Max depth is about 23 feet from the train bridge through to ushers creek, so no real danger there.

You just have to remember that Canada is on the left unless you bring your passport with you

Thanks for the help! We'll have to see if we can fit one in before it gets too cold. My son even with a 7mm and hood gets cold fast.

Water is pretty warm there. I had it in mid 80's last dive there. I was actually thinking about a 3 mm when I go next

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom