Get them feet up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having trouble keeping my feet up while trying an anti-silting frog kick. I can still do it very well, but it is required to be able to keep the feet off the bottom. I've been doing the arch back, clench butt, knees bent thing. But I just can't seem to make it WORK.

Any crazy "who knews" for this tehnique

Is the problem that you're dropping your knees, or that you're in a foot down/head up trim? If the latter, moving some weight higher on your body, or a lighter fin should help.

Well you definitely don't need ankle weights

There are a lot of reasons why feet drop. Incorrect static weighting is one -- if too much of your dead weight is below your COG, your feet will drop as soon as you don't work at kicking them upward.

Posture is another -- if you are flexing at the hips, your feet will drop. Getting your hands out in front of you, raising your head, and flattening your torso from shoulders to knees, will reduce the tendency of your feet to drop.

If you can get a buddy to do a little video, we can give you a LOT more useful feedback.

I had a DIR mentor take a good look at me today. Got the issue solved. Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out my tank had been a little low. So I marked where my straps should be with dots. I also weaved two 1 lb weights into my webbing on my harness.

Those two fixes solved everything!

I had a DIR mentor take a good look at me today. Got the issue solved. Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out my tank had been a little low. So I marked where my straps should be with dots. I also weaved two 1 lb weights into my webbing on my harness.

Those two fixes solved everything!
Did the DIR mentor suggest this?

Did that myself. I need trim weights anyways, so I weaved them right above the tri-glide on either side so they won't slip.

Is there something wrong with that. It worked very well and didn't get in the way of my spool, D-Rings, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did that myself. I need trim weights anyways, so I weaved them right above the tri-glide on either side so they won't slip.

Is there something wrong with that. It worked very well and didn't get in the way of my spool, D-Rings, etc.

Was it to get your head down, or because you needed more weight in general? If it's just to get you to sink, nbd, but if you're referring to weaving them into the shoulder webbing I think we might be able to steer you away from that and solve your issue as well. Any chance of getting a video?

Won't be diving until next week, if I can get some pool time in between I'll be sure to work something out.

It was to get my torso down, but not my head. My head was at the angle it needed to be, but not my torso. I found that with smaller weights in the webbing I can bring my torso down to near perfectly horizontal, while still keeping my knees up. This also helps the turtling by balancing both sides out. I also switched to a SLIGHTLY more positive boot. This balances out the negative-negative of jet fins and the ScubaPro boots I had. This helps my feet to "return" to the original up position after a frog kick or in particular, a helicopter or back kick.

If your using a bp/wing set-up, have you tried a doughnut wing ???....If not you might be able to solve the problem and get rid of the weights....Sewing weights on permanently is not the best solution......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom