Time for the DAN BBQ at Portage! July 21 and 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Coming up in just a few weeks is the annual DAN BBQ at Portage Quarry. This will be my 5th time there and every one has been a blast. Dan Orr will again be there and doing a presentation on diver fatalities on Saturday evening. I will be arriving on Friday as usual and right now not sure if camping or staying at a local motel. Depends on whether or not the GF goes this year.

If anyone is interested in a Buoyancy and Trim, Dive Planning, or Intro to Rescue Skills Workshop let me know and we can schedule something.

Before Portage I will be participating in a Disaster Scenario Clinic at Dutch Springs for my own education and with the possible outcome of adapting it to recreational settings. Would love to have some volunteers to test it out.

There will be the usual festivities and activities. One of the prizes this year will be an EdgeEXP regulator with octo donated by yours truly:cool2: and HOG/Edge Gear.

I will also have copies of my book for sale and if you bring the tank I can let you try out the new HOG 23 lb wing on a HOG Aluminum Plate and a D-1 reg with HOG Second. Just make sure it's DIN.:wink::D

I'm curious ... why Portage? I'll admit, I'm not a fan of the place. Especially not with Gilboa and White Star so close by.

I used to dive portage all the time, and liked it a lot. A couple of years ago Palmer bought it and allowed Jeff to keep the lease on the property for diving. Since Palmer bought it he has been dumping concrete and asphalt along the west wall from jobs he does in the surrounding areas and it has absolutely killed the visibility. When I worked as a hard hat diver I did a number of what we called zero visibility dives, but zero visibility is not my idea of a recreational dive.

I have no idea why portage is the location of choice other than when a location was being looked at Jeff offered it and over the years has helped raise a lot of money along with the TA Dive Club. And while I have seen vis go down some from my first year there it is hardly zero. Looking at my log from last year we had as much as 60 feet in places actually measured. And no less than 20 in the areas I was in. And we were all over the place. In addition I like the layout on the surface and appreciate the ease of access. Gilboa is nice but those docks got crowded. Can't really say on whitestar as the only time I was there it was 25 degrees, snowing like crazy, and I walked fifty yards out onto the water. Never seen it in summer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have no idea why portage is the location of choice other than when a location was being looked at Jeff offered it and over the years has helped raise a lot of money along with the TA Dive Club. And while I have seen vis go down some from my first year there it is hardly zero. Looking at my log from last year we had as much as 60 feet in places actually measured. And no less than 20 in the areas I was in. And we were all over the place. In addition I like the layout on the surface and appreciate the ease of access. Gilboa is nice but those docks got crowded. Can't really say on whitestar as the only time I was there it was 25 degrees, snowing like crazy, and I walked fifty yards out onto the water. Never seen it in summer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Just curious. Regardless, I wish everyone who attends a great time!

Just a bump as I am starting pre trip prep. Looking forward to a great time. Will be available for workshops if anyone is interested in improving their knowledge and skills.

Back
Top Bottom