What dive computer to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting a dive computer and I would like some feed back. I have been looking at the Galileo Luna and want to know what everyone thinks. What other computer would be better and why?

Thanks.

What's your price range and what level of diving are you doing or plan to do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I checked out the Galileo Luna, and the prices are generally around $1000. And the reviews are generally quite good. But before you go spending that money, you need to ask yourself what are your goals in diving for now and the future. Do you want to stay recreational or do you want to go technical? Would you want to dive with different gases?

You could probably get a decent computer for 20% of that price that can do both nitrox and regular air and do bottom time/depth, as well as upload dive logs to your computer. However, you might prefer the integrated compass, gas integration, and all those other features that the Galileo Luna offers. Or you could just buy a compass and have a normal pressure gauge.

Computers like so many other pieces of dive gear are a matter of personal preference/budget...Hose/hoseless, 2-3 gases, watch/puck size, environment to be used in, bells/buzzers/whistles etc....There have been many posts/threads on computers...Two main points; User friendly & reliability...Read enough of the posts/threads and you'll get an idea of what suits your needs/budget best.......

The Luna is an excellent choice!

Well I am new to diving but plan on buying once and buying right. I want a watch that has integrated air. I want a watch because I dont like having to look at a gauge. I use a watch every day so I am use to that and find it a little more comforting having it on my wrist. I want something that is going to last a long time and is not overly complicated. I want something I will be able to take with me on any dive I go on no matter if its California or somewhere tropical.

Any other computers that anyone suggest?

I'm not familiar with the Luna. For a range of representative types, I'd look at these for comparison:

1.) Atomic Aquatics Cobalt - console style, great interface, expensive.

2.) Oceanic ProPlus 2.1 - as above minus the great interface but cheaper. Doesn't have a digital compass, but I like analog compasses anyway, and so do a number of folks.

3.) Oceanic VT4 - wrist unit, larger than a watch, air integrated.

4.) Oceanic Atom 3 - wrist watch style, air integrated. For a cheaper, non air-integrated unit, look at the Geo 2.0.

5.) Shearwater Predator, I think it's called, is highly regarded by some, but may well be overkill. I'm not up on what all is special about it.

I'd want a computer I could download dives to a computer from. Each of the above has fans. I don't know what computer is right for you. Might just be a Luna.

Richard.

I would give two thumbs up for the shearwater but its overkill for just no stop diving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have the LUNA and have found it sooooooo much better than my Suuntos I had previously.
The air intergration is very reliable. In two years I have not lost the signal.
The compass is very good also.
The choice of screen options is good and there are many ways to customise the computer to you.
Battery life is good. I am still on my first battery after two years.

BUt you need to see what is good for you.

I am going to try a few out I just wanted to get some opinions from people that have used them before.

Back
Top Bottom