Jacket style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kneptoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in a quality jacket style bcd w/o the integrated weight system. Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated. Thanks

I'd look for something used or on special. Integrated weights are usually valued by the jacket-wearers and so you can probably find a deal. Scubapro used to make something that was pretty simple, called the classic. I got curious and saw one on Leisurepro for the low low price of $700!!!!! Wow, and anyway it has integrated weights. But if you look at the cheapest ones there are some choices. In terms of 'quality' IMO the entire concept of a jacket BC is horrible so I'm definitely not the one to make recommendations!

Is there any special case why you look at the jacket style? I have loiked again at an Aqualung Zuma couple of weeks ago but it is a backinflate. What I liked was very lightweight and simple.

I don't have a clue. I have tried a few weightless jackets (rentals) and they were all horrible trim wise.

I have a few weight integrated jackets and can dive them without the weights, they are OK. Not my favorite, but perfectly functional.

Pretty easy to ignore all these when you look at gear like the Zeagle Tech Express (a soft plate with wing for less than $300) that will serve many divers better, cheaper, simpler.

I am planning some instructional pool work and find a jacket style BCD with weight belt preferable to other set ups.

BCD Jacket - Mares Vector Original

I just did a dive trip to Tubbataha, Philippines. I didn't take my gear so my buddy loaned me this Mares.
I'm 6 foot 175 lbs and this was a Small size. But it was comfortable. I'm leg heavy and normally dive with a 6 lb backplate to level me out. So, I slipped two kg on the tank strap of this rig and all worked well.

BCD Jacket - Mares Vector Original

I just did a dive trip to Tubbataha, Philippines. I didn't take my gear so my buddy loaned me this Mares.
I'm 6 foot 175 lbs and this was a Small size. But it was comfortable. I'm leg heavy and normally dive with a 6 lb backplate to level me out. So, I slipped two kg on the tank strap of this rig and all worked well.

This is one of the models I have rented and I hated it. I was diving 7MM, so its a different game than the tropics. The point is moot though, Mares discontinued the model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom