Need help with making choices....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhwang

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be taking my AOW classes soon. My current dive computer is a Suunto Zoop Gauge Computer console. It does not have a compass which I will be needing for my AOW. My dilemma lies in that I am thinking about upgrading to a wrist dive computer (been looking at Galileo Luna or the Liquivision Lynx when it becomes available).

Do you think it would be worthwhile to just buy the Suunto SK-7 back style compass vs. upgrading to other dive computers and in the meantime just rent a wrist compass to get through the AOW?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I finished my AOW not too long ago, and I just used my own dive computer (Suunto Vyper, very similar to the Zoop), you won't need to upgrade your computer just for AOW, most places will just let you use one of their one compasses for no added charge, and they have no preference towards gauge or wrist computers, so you can use anything you like, there's no need to buy more equipment to get through AOW

It's generally a bad idea to buy equipment just to get through a course, the initial equipment costs are harsh (for your BCD, Reg, etc), so focus on getting what you'll need on every dive, instead of what you'll need to get through a specific dive

The Luna costs around $1000. A good compass costs around $100-$200. The Suunto Zoop dive computer is a very good computer for your current purposes. If your goals change, maybe then you should get a new computer, but the Zoop is adequate for recreational diving.

You could rent a wrist compass for the course, but I would suggest to eventually buy your own. Proper navigation is underrated.

Also, if you do decide to continue with diving long-term, my suggestion is to figure out what equipment to get as soon as you make the decision. Sure, the initial costs are high (even if you buy some online), but if you do the math, rental costs are outrageous and having your own equipment will pay for itself within 50 dives.

My thoughts are focus on the learning rather than adding new equipment. There is nothing wrong with the Zoop. It will handle nitrox and most all recreational diving. If you are going technical diving then you may wish to consider the more highend multigas/mixes computers. Otherwise, you are already "there". Unless you are looking at trimix, I'd invest only in a second no AI computer as a back-up (another Zoop is fine). Console or wrist compass works for AOW. The Suunto SK 7 is a fine choice.

I agree with you sticking with the Zoop and just getting a compass. I think the Suunto SK-7 is an excellent choice. I much prefer having it on my wrist to having it on a console. I think everyone should have a compass and know how to use it, so if I were you I would buy a wrist SK-7 and not worry about a computer upgrade for quite some time. There are better ways to spend you scuba bucks.

Whatever the computer you want to choose in the futur, having a separate wrist compass is a good choice. I have tested some compass that are in some computer and apart maybe for the Mares Icon that have a huge screen they are not so usefull as a basic one. A SK7 will stay with you for very very long time and for all type of diving you can do.

Keep your zoop for now, that is a very nice computer. If you have all the rest to be able to dive, go to your AOW, enjoy some fun dives (don't forget to practice the compass) to get some experience and discuss the gears with your buddy (or here) and you'll see that sometimes the basic just do the job perfectly. I have a nice stuff about that. When I have started to do tech dives, I was looking at all these strange dedicated computers. And you know what, my computer is just a wrist slate, awesome. Isn't it? But that's do the job. I use two recreational computers in gauge mode to follow the time and depth, that's it.

I have a Suunto Cobra 3 with a built-in electronic compass. However, I use a Suunto SK-7 on a wrist bungee mount for real compass work. I like just being able to hold my arm out to get my bearing, and I like have a console computer on a retractor for tank pressure, depth, and dive time.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I decided to follow your recommendations and will keep the Suunto Zoop and purchased the SK-7 with bungee wrist mount.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom