Looking for a DPV for about $1500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrian_london

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I'd like plenty of advice if you all don't mind.

I've been diving many times but have never dived with a DPV. I'd like to know how easy it is to use one and also how much I can get one for.

I don't mind spending about $1500 and I will be using it in Maui. I normally dive at about 50-60ft and normally can last about 60 minutes on one tank.

I also don't mind if the DPV is second hand. Ideally I'd like to buy one in the USA (even though I'm from the UK) and leave it there.

Any advice is greatly received.

Aloha,

I live in Maui and scooter every weekend. I am thinking of getting new Appolo, AV2, I have two Appolo AV1 that I could sell you each for $1400 each with saddles and new lead batteries. You should always have two so a buddy can go with you. I can take you out and show you how to use them. I am a dive master and take people out all the time. Let me know your thoughts

I have a Mako scooter that is in excellent condition and runs flawlessly. The batteries are only 2 yrs old, has not been in salt water, and has the 24V charger. Regarding how easy they are; I believe is all relevant to your comfort level. Given a couple of nice shallow easy dives you will get to know the scooter and it can be your best friend. There are some courses out there to learn about all the "what ifs" (runaway scooter) so keep that in mind as well. What I like about the Mako is the clutching device. Should the scooter "runaway" (meaning doesn't shut off) (this has never happened to me ...knock on wood) you simply apply hard pressure against the torque adjusting knob and it will disable the clutch. I'm thinking shipping within the US would be some where around $75.00 - $100.00, but would only charge what it would actually be. I'm looking for $850.00 (US) and that would not include the shipping. If you would like pictures let me know. Wish you well in your search and safe diving!

I believe if the markings are correct it is 5 years old. I have had it for 3 years so far.

Whatever scooter you get make sure you get one with saddles. You can ride them like superman. Besides being fun, if you don't have a saddle you will have to hold it in front of you with your arms and unless your a body builder will tire faily quickly. The whole purpose of a scooter is to allow you to get to places you would not normally get swimming while conserving air. I have taken new divers out just certified and they picked it quickly. I have had a few veterans have minor issues. Never had any major issues. The most important thing to keep in mind is to not ascend rapidly which is very possible if you are not paying attention. Never had anyone's scooter get away from them. I have heard of one girl with a dive shop panic and let go of the scooter. It went out to open water never to be found. The bottom line is she was fine as the dive master got a hold of her and safly ascended. You do have to be responsible and cautious but after one dive most people get the hang of it and dive very safley.

Whatever scooter you get make sure you get one with saddles. You can ride them like superman. Besides being fun, if you don't have a saddle you will have to hold it in front of you with your arms and unless your a body builder will tire faily quickly.

You do not necessarily have to have a saddle or hold on with just your arms. A tow rope works quite nicely with a crotch or towing harness syetem strap D- ring. I have seen Mako's & even SeaDoo's with tow ropes. The scooter pulls the diver along behind by the BC harness via the crotch strap, a snap bolt & the tow rope. The only thing the the arms do is guide the scooter in the direction the diver wants to go. My Hollis H-160 is completely designed to be a tow- behind DPV.

The nice thing about the tow (or in scooter case it pulls the diver along) rope is that you can literally turn on a dime under water like a centipede. With the saddle your body has to act like a contortionist to do such a maneuver. Either way you go its all about your comfort level and gaining the experience.

The saddle scooters (Apollo) can turn on a dime, hover, tow, or can be used in front of you, all on the same dive. Some brands are faster, or tougher, or go deeper, but for the price they do a good job and are as fast as any but the more expensive tech models.

Last edited:
Thanks James, didnt really understand the previous comment about turning on a dime. I did a barrall roll today and several other stupid maneuvers. I have a blast on them. Not sure why you would ever want to be strapped by your crotch. Not a very good safteything to do. I guess I don't really know the other models. I like the hands free thing so I can video big things like mantas or the last month when we scooters with 11 dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom