Any reason not to buy Aeris Ex100/A1 package online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wtsheff

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new diver looking at some gear online, for $5xx it I can get an complete package with dive computer online.

Other than the cheap computer not being able to use nitrox, which I am not certified for anyway, is ther any other major reason not to get this package.

It seems the price is right and if down the road I want to buy something better I can alway keep this as a buddy loaner/spare ?

Thanks!

I would pass on that package. Get a computer that will do nitrox you may end up getting nitrox cert later. Two you want a balanced 1st and 2nd stage.

This regulator is likely fine to serve you for a time. Though, go in with your eyes open. Odds are you'll be buying another regulator later if you buy this one now. If that's OK with you, then go for it. I wish someone had told me that when I got started - I'd have bought the right gear the first time.

Even if you try hard to buy the right stuff you're bound to wind up wanting to replace something. If you buy a cheap package of stuff someone has put together that has nothing to do with what you want or would get if you chose things individually, it's almost guaranteed. So go into this with that in mind.

If you found a really great deal on a used air computer that's one thing, but I would not buy one new. You may do Nitrox later and I'd expect an air-only computer not to do as well on resale value. So I'd skip the computer for now if you need to (or buy a cheap used air one) and get better regs.

The BC, who knows. If it turns out to fit you well and you get lucky you may be happy with it for quite awhile, or you may hate it immediately - I'm assuming you haven't been able to try this BC so hard to guess.

I have an Aeris EX 100 BC and I like it. It's comfortable and has good lift. The weight pocket clips are secure and robust.

Having both the first and second stage balanced is unnecessary. If the first stage is balanced, then the whole rig is balanced. I know, the hype is that it's better to have both stages balanced but it really isn't needed. Further, there are those who happen to like unbalanced regulators. My youngest son is one of them. He likes the fact that when his tank pressure gets low, breathing resistance increases and warns him of low air. I have some old US Divers Aquarius regs that I really like to dive. They are unbalanced, piston regs that are virtually indestructible and utterly reliable.

I honestly cannot advise you on computers. I don't use one. I had one for awhile but sold it. I never really trusted it and found that I continued to rely more on my depth gauge and watch even when I was carrying the computer. I finally traded it in on a new BC for my son.

I don't dive Nitrox, either. For me, it's an added complication and I like to keep things simple.

The problem with following gear advice from someone here on the board (or anywhere) is that we have all made gear choices based on our individual needs and our choices may not be right for you. What it boils down to is this: If you find gear that fits your needs (price, performance, comfort, ease of service, etc.) then it doesn't matter what anyone else is using.

I have an Aeris EX 100 BC and I like it. It's comfortable and has good lift. The weight pocket clips are secure and robust.

Having both the first and second stage balanced is unnecessary. If the first stage is balanced, then the whole rig is balanced. I know, the hype is that it's better to have both stages balanced but it really isn't needed. Further, there are those who happen to like unbalanced regulators. My youngest son is one of them. He likes the fact that when his tank pressure gets low, breathing resistance increases and warns him of low air. I have some old US Divers Aquarius regs that I really like to dive. They are unbalanced, piston regs that are virtually indestructible and utterly reliable.

I honestly cannot advise you on computers. I don't use one. I had one for awhile but sold it. I never really trusted it and found that I continued to rely more on my depth gauge and watch even when I was carrying the computer. I finally traded it in on a new BC for my son.

I don't dive Nitrox, either. For me, it's an added complication and I like to keep things simple.

The problem with following gear advice from someone here on the board (or anywhere) is that we have all made gear choices based on our individual needs and our choices may not be right for you. What it boils down to is this: If you find gear that fits your needs (price, performance, comfort, ease of service, etc.) then it doesn't matter what anyone else is using.

First you are breaking one of scuba major rules and that is monitor your gas supply and not wait until the increase resistance warn you of low gas supply.

Your are incorrect on your statement that if a first stage is balance the regulator is balanced. In simple terms your are putting pressure on the spring to open the valve on a demand valve 2nd stage and on the balance 2nd stage you are routing medium pressure air to the backside of the valve to help counteract the force of the spring. This allows the valve to open with less effort, making the reg breathe easier.
My wife who dive one or twice a year can tell the difference between a demand 2nd stage and balanced 2nd stage,most of us are not hovering our regulator so we can tell the difference between the two designs.

Nitrox is not that hard it's easier then repairing a regulator.

I agree with you on the last part.

Hi Wtsheff, I just want to help you make a better choice don't low ball it and you don't have to spend a fortune either.

"First you are breaking one of scuba major rules and that is monitor your gas supply and not wait until the increase resistance warn you of low gas supply."

You'll get no argument from me on this. However, We both know that divers can, and do, get distracted. I bought my youngest son a new Aqualung Calypso because it's not only a dependable, bulletproof reg, it also offers that little reminder, at 750 psi, to check his SPG.

Keep in mind, though, that this is only the case with an unbalanced piston regulator. An unbalanced diaphragm regulator will actually get easier to breathe as tank pressure drops.

"My wife who dive one or twice a year can tell the difference between a demand 2nd stage and balanced 2nd stage,most of us are not hovering our regulator so we can tell the difference between the two designs."

Perhaps it's just me, but I'll have to take your word that regulators with both stages balanced breathe better. I've dived both types of second stages down to about 100 feet, in all sorts of positions (no one has ever accused me of hovering) and I honestly cannot tell any difference in breathing resistance between a double-balanced rig and my Conshelf 14. I could be wrong, but I've come to the conclusion that it's a mental thing and that, because of the hype, people convince themselves that there is actually a difference.

But what do I know? I still dive a double hose reg and I think it's easy to breathe from. :D

"Nitrox is not that hard it's easier then repairing a regulator."

What does diving Nitrox have to do with repairing a regulator?

I don't want to bother with the added expense and procedures of Nitrox diving. The mixing, the testing, etc. I just wanna fill my tank and go. I'm funny that way.

"It seems the price is right and if down the road I want to buy something better I can alway keep this as a buddy loaner/spare"

The OP was correct in the statement that an affordable package bought now would allow him/her to start diving now and upgrade (perhaps a piece at a time) later on, with the original package serving as backup/loaner gear. Most of us have gear-itis, anyway. Even if one could accurately foresee exactly what sort of diving one will be doing, say, five years from now and manage to pick the perfect gear setup the first time, they will still be buying more equipment, including regulators, BCs, wetsuits, you name it. I'm up to my eyeballs in tanks, wetsuits, BCs, spare parts, knives, lights...The list is nearly endless. Yet, two days ago, I bought a NIB, never used Conshelf 21. Did I need it? Heck, no! But I wanted it. It was calling my name and I couldn't resist its Siren call. I'm a total gear junkie and I would say that 90% of all divers are.

So where did this ridiculous idea that a newbie can possibly make one, single gear purchase that equals "the right gear the first time" come from? Not every newbie goes on to become a [wreck/cave/deep/tech] diver, so why do we always seem to assume that he/she needs to buy the most advanced, expensive gear? Besides, most of us divers get a terminal case of gear-itis eventually.

I agree that the OP shouldn't "low ball" it. Not that the cheaper stuff is unsafe. It isn't. Low cost regs can breathe quite well and give adequate service for recreational diving. For someone who has no desire to ever go beyond the shallow-water-play-with-the-fishies style of diving, a low cost setup would be quite satisfactory. The problem, as I see it, comes in the arena of parts and service. Unless the budget equipment is sold by a LDS who supports it, service might even be non-existent. This might not be an issue with someone who figures on tossing a cheap reg set after a few years and buying another one. In a way, this makes sense. Buy a $130 regulator, use it for three to five years (until it starts having problems) and get a new one. This would actually be cheaper than having a more expensive reg serviced every year. Would I do it this way? No, but I know of people who do. Their choice.

I did buy some cheap, Sea Elite seconds to use as octos, but their innards are generic and I can get parts for them. Even so, use 'em and lose 'em, if needs be!

I, like you, am a US Divers/Aqualung fan. All of my regs are USD/AL. I have an abiding love for the Conshelf series with all-metal second stages. My favorite is my Conshelf 14. The Titan regs are outgrowths of this line and, internally, are identical. My oldest son has discovered the HOG/Edge line and has gone in that direction. I have used his Edge Epic and I must say that, for the budget minded buyer, this would be an excellent choice. I took his first stage apart right after he got it and I was impressed with its simplicity and ruggedness. It has even fewer parts than a Conshelf first stage. His second stage, however, is balanced and more complicated than my simpler, all-metal USD seconds. I didn't disassemble it as I am not versed in the care and feeding of such beasts. I'll have to get the manual for it. I'm tempted to buy an Epic first stage and slap a metal Conshelf second on it.

As far as the OP's original post, Aeris isn't cheap gear. It's a well-known company that sells good stuff. If I were just starting out, on a budget, and looking to buy my first set of diving gear, I would be giving such a package a serious gander. Except for the computer. I'm a tables, watch and depth gauge man. My preference.

That said, a budget-minded shopper can often get better deals buying equipment separately. Look around for sales and mix-and-match gear. You'd be surprised how much money you can save and still get great stuff.

The central piece of equipment, regardless of the heritage of the rest of the setup, is the regulator. And here's the thing: Most people know next to nothing about the innards of their regulators and have no idea how to service them. So, suppose the newbie finds a great deal on a Whatsis X-300 regulator, but no one in his area carries the Whatsis line of gear? The only option is to ship the darned thing off to have it serviced and wait for who knows how long for some stranger to get around to fixing it.

For us DIY types, this is no problem. We get the manuals, find a source of parts and have at it. But for the majority of the diving public, local service is a necessary fact of life. So, whether one buys locally or online, it's best if the regulator is supported locally. I'm not saying that one must buy locally (and, maybe, pay a much higher price), just that the availability of local service could be a big factor in the choice of brand.

I'm not going to go into the "parts for life" schtick because that is a fading thing and, one day soon, will be little more than a memory.

One thing I strongly recommend that all divers do is purchase the book Regulator Savvy. Even if you don't ever intend to service your own regs, I believe that knowledge of how a regulator works will help one become a better, more confident diver.

Regulator Savvy (Spiral Bound)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom