Yes or no on Comfo-bite with Zeta reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munselln8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I have searched both Zeta and Comfo-bite and have not been able to find the authoritative answer to this question. I understand that there is some debate as to yes or no, so I am looking for the manufacturer to clear it up for me. I love my Zeta reg, and I love the comfo-bite mouthpiece. But, I certainly don't want any free-flow issues. So, which is it? Can I safely use the comfo-bite mouthpiece with the zeta regulator? Or am I risking free-flow issues?
Thanks ahead!

Choice of mouthpiece has little, actually nothing, to do with free flow issues. I have used comfo bites on a few Oceanic regs with no problems. The only issue, since I have not seen one on a Zeta is if you can actually get in on the reg. Or if it's too big to seal properly. Free flows are caused by too light of a cracking pressure, too high IP's, a poorly maintained reg, cold water diving where the reg freezes up, or dropping the reg upside down with the venturi switch in the wrong position being the most common. I have never heard of choice of mouthpiece causing a freeflow.

Jim...I would not have thought that the mouthpiece could have any affect on the free-flow either..until I ran into this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/241479-attention-oceanic.html

While it is difficult to read (due to the flaming), it does finally have a response from Doug Krause of Oceanic...which "implies" that their may be issues with different mouthpieces. So, I am hoping for a definitive answer from Oceanic as to whether or not I can use this piece with my Zeta :)
Thanks!

Sooooo...six weeks later, no answer. No biggie though, for $7 I'll give it a go. I'll take my new comfo-bite and my old Oceanic mouthpiece with me this weekend and try them both out. along with my new Scubapro Jetfins :)

It will free flow it did on a lady friend of mine. Call Ron at (800) 435-3483 he did mention that in one of the service seminars.

NC...hmmm, interesting. I just dove it yesterday. Didn't have any issues with free flow. I will say, it was a "stretch" just to get it on the reg. Clearly, the Zeta is a bit "non-standard" in the mouthpice attachemtn shape. But, absolutely no problems with free-flow. So, I suppose the experiential data suggests that the comfo-bite "MAY" cause free-flow with the Zeta reg...As it turns it, I absolutley hated the way it sat in my mouth (in comparison to the Zeta factory mouthpiece)!!! It has been a couple years since I dove the comfo-bite but I remembered it being really comfortable. I guess I had forgotten exactly how it felt because I cut it off at the end of the dive and replaced it with the factory mouthpiece (which is more like a Seacure-with the longer molar tabs)...*sigh*....much ado about nothing I guess. Now...my next thread will outline my woes with my new Jetfins "standing" me upright (trim-wise)... :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom