Ok stupid newbie, thinking bout sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it possible to change my backplate and wing setup to strictly just the backplate and then just use my drysuit for boyancy, since I am a cold water diver I was wondering if I could get some imput, on a setup like that.... Thanks guys pics of similar setup would help me out greatly:D

Why even use the backplate. If you get a sidemount rig is solves all your issues and you could safely dive steel in cold water. DR has a slick new JT rig that would be perfect for cold diving without some of the nomad bulkiness.

I converted a BP/W for sidemount. It worked best with a soft backplate - I used an Oxycheq 'Ultralite', but the Zeagle looks good too. Threaded that with a typical 'hog' harness and crotch strap.

It wasn't much effort to put a bladder onto it. I don't dive dry, so I needed the bladder. I'd still recommend that you got a bladder, even if diving dry - more secure, better trim and easier operation. Will allow you to progress with the same rig, even when using different (steel) cylinders, adding stages, can lights etc... where a drysuit alone would be over-stressed.

I've never been a fan of using drysuit for buoyancy - lots of issues with air migration, plus linking buoyancy and thermal protection is too much for one item of kit... as the requirements of one function might not match the other.

Recently, I've been playing with an ultra-minimalist concept - A simple weight-belt/crotch strap with d-rings, coupled with a separate 'shoulder holster' of bungee. Basically, a 'no-mount' system.... but that's to be worn under regular kit (which gets removed), for specific, tight penetrations.

It could be done as mentioned above. I think weighting could be a tough issue as you would want as little as possible due to the fact that you'll be using your drysuit for buoyancy (I'm a cold water SM diver). As you know, a drysuit makes the worst kind of BCD, air shifting, air pockets etc. the least amount of air in your suit the better. The minimalist "wings" (UTD z wing, razor etc) are extremely streamlined and keep what little air you need in a very small space. I'm using Steel 120's with my drysuit on a backplate/wing in the lakes here and barely need any air at all. But I do need the 6lbs of the plate plus a V weight to ensure I've got a balanced rig. Keep posting when you gets some trial dives in, I'm curious.

Is it possible to change my backplate and wing setup to strictly just the backplate and then just use my drysuit for boyancy, since I am a cold water diver I was wondering if I could get some imput, on a setup like that.... Thanks guys pics of similar setup would help me out greatly:D

Are you planning on doing this with steel cylinders? What happens when you have a dry suit failure? Can you swim those steels to the surface and then maintain positive buoyancy on the surface?

011.jpg

I've started SMing this summer and also made a DIY rig out of my BP/W. In my case, after looking at the Nomad at the Tacoma Dive Expo. I made my own outer plate to cover the wing to prevent tacoing. I want to bend it a bit more but it does the job. I'm also tweaking the small bungies holding in the wing.

012-1.jpg

I also made a butt plate but I have found it hard to clip on to. I need some larger bottom snapbolts and I also bought some thinner gloves (lobster gloves and clipping don't mix) and I also experimented with the butt plate D ring positions a bit. Fortunately, I feel I can clip off to the hip D rings and maintain fairly good bottle position so I just took the plate off for now. This has caused a lot of underwater swearing though.

014.jpg

I attached some bungie to my backplate with a snapbolt on the other end that I can clip into my chest D rings. When not in use the snapbolt clips into my hip D rings. This allows me to don the rig, reach down and unclip the bungie and then reclip it. The bungie I have now is too thick and I plan to replace it with thinner stuff. I may experiment with this a bit as having so many snapbolts on the chest D rings begins to cause a clutter.

015.jpg

I am using Steel 72's tied off with rope connections for now. I don't want to use bungie for the top snapbolts as I shore dive and want the option to enter and exit carrying my bottles clipped off. I think I will replace the bottom snapbolt connection with bungie though to get a bit of pull space when I clip off to the buttplate. I'll wait till I get the bigger snapbolts to decide that though.

016.jpg

For hose routing with a wetsuit; On the right I use a short hose and a snapbolt just off the second stage (held on with tear away bicycle tubing) which is clipped off when not in use. On the left I use a normal length hose routed behind my neck with a bungied second stage (just like a Hog setup). I also have a LP whip with a bend in it about 8 inches from the connector (the bend is held with a piece of bicycle tubing but I think I will make a brace so that it won't kink). It routes up under my arm and then down to the inflator on the wing. When diving dry I will just run another whip off the left tank.

So far so good. I've done single tank and double side mount dives and am pleased with the stability and ease of operation. Clipping the bottom clips is an issue but I'm pretty sure bigger snapbolts will resolve this. I keep working at removing weight so that I use minimal air in the wing but with an 11/8mm wetsuit I will always need some at depth.
Cost: $20 aluminum plate and a few bucks for bungie.

Do you BP/W folks not have problems with the shoulder straps wanting to pull apart from the bungie pulling on them?

As a confirmed chest clipper, I cannot really see how the bungies would not pull the shoulder straps apart, but then again, I always use a chest clip anyway, so I am hardly the best judge of what would pull the shoulder straps apart.

One of the reasons, beyond comfort on bare skin, I do not use a BP/W is because of the pulling apart of the shoulder straps without a chest clip.

Just my opinion only

I started sm earlier this year it is great in the water, but diving off my boat made me a pita for everyone. I didn't fit thru my ladder acces and did not dig disconnecting half my gear to get back of the boat
it was too much of a pain for me.
i did 1 surface entry and it was Great but 99.9 percent of my diving is done off my boat

Thats just me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom