Computer or gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewbieToDiving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys, I'm looking for my first set up of scuba gear, I was wondering which should I get, a computer for my air gauge and debth, or a computer for both of thoughs! Thanks for the help!!

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you looking at the choice between a computer and a separate pressure gauge, or an air-integrated computer? Or are you looking at using a depth gauge and timer, instead of a computer?

If the latter, you will be stuck diving tables, which are pretty restrictive. Most people use some kind of computer nowadays.

If the former, you have three different things to look at. You can have an air-integrated computer at the end of your HP hose. This puts your depth gauge, timer, no-deco information and gas status all on the end of that hose, where you have to pull it up or figure out where to secure it so you can see it. The other option is wrist gauges, but to get your gas information on a wrist gauge, you have to use a transmitter of some kind. This adds significant cost (around $400 or more, depending on the computer) and the transmitters can be finicky.

My personal choice is wrist gauges, and a simple pressure gauge at the end of the HP hose. I only have to look at my pressure every five minutes or so, so it's not a big deal to pull the gauge up and glance at it. I like to see my depth pretty constantly, so I like that on my wrist.

I use a Luna that does everything but I like to have a pressure gauge on my hip also. I mainly run in GAUGE mode aswell.
I have never had a failure of the transmitor but it means I can, if needed, shut down my isolator and still see the pressure in both tanks.
Also means I can run indies.

We all make choices and you will, I'm sure, get lots of opinions.

Last edited:
I have an older Suunto Vytec with a transmitter. I really enjoy being able to see my pressure when I glance at my depth or time. BUT, there have been a number of times when the system has failed for reasons I don't know. That is why I also have a hard wired SPG on a high pressure hose as my PRIMARY pressure sensor. The Vytec is for convenience but my SPG is for real.

YMMV

Besides cost there are several less obvious disadvantage to air integrated computers- wrist or hose end. If they fail, your most important piece of information has just been lost- remaining air pressure. Depth is no big deal, odds are you have some idea at what depth you are at and/or your buddy’s depth gauge is a reasonable substitute...not suggesting it is for the long run but as a backup to go home on, it's fine. His SPG on the other hand is almost useless to you. Another often overlooked problem with AIs (and my guess is most divers don't even know it happens) is an AI computer will hide some serious issues that a SPG will flag. If your tank valve happens to be almost fully closed and you breath off your reg, a SPG needle will move, indicating there is a problem, on the other hand, the sample rate of most AI computers is such that it will miss the pressure swing and you will not know you have a problem until you are at depth. A partly open valve happens more often than you would think.
Then there is need. If you are doing shallow quarry or shallow reef dives almost all the time or for that matter easier dives off the NC coast, your profile is going to be more or less square any way so the computer does not help you much, a simple watch, tables and analog depth gauge will do fine. This is esp. true of new divers because your gas use is going to exceed your allowed bottom time so even if the computer allows you more time, your tank doesn’t. It's not until you get into multi level dives that the computer really comes into it's own.

Everyone has their own preferences, none of which are wrong, it‘s just what we prefer based on the diving we do. I prefer a wrist computer and a console with an analog depth gauge (or second computer), SPG and compass. This gives me the best of both worlds and a computer failure (have had 3) does not usually end my dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom