Good bc for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewbieToDiving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've tried a sea quest latitude XLT I like that style, I really can't find something like that,im looking for one for my first set of gear! Thanks!

Check out the review of the DRIS BP/W. I wish I would of went with this setup from the start, but I have one now. What kind of diving do you plan on doing? If your in N.Carolina i'm going to guess deep wrecks eventually?

I hate to just "jump" on the BP/W wagon but my story is similar to to yours. I took my cert classes with standard Vest-type BC's. I hated the suffocating feeling of the vest style. I shared my desire to dive with (what I called) "next to nothing" gear (I just wanted that true feeling of freedom and weightlessness in the water) with my dive instructor and she pointed me towards a BP/wing set-up. In the end I did about two months of research and put my own set-up together for about $350.00 bucks. I went with a SS BP, 32 lb bladder, a couple XS SCUBA weight pockets, picked up a reg, etc... Anyway, I simply can't imagine using a vest style BC! I just don't see any disadvantage to the BP/W. It is entirely customizable, if you don't like the set-up: change it... Plus, it is as close to "nothing" as you are gonna get in water under 85 degrees :) Good luck with your search and be sure to do your research!

im definitly going to have to work my wy into it, im just looking for something that i can buy now and in a year or two or even longer i wont need a new one. i havent gotten certified yet but hoping two before summer ends.

im looking for one for my first set of gear!

RJP's Immutable Axiom of Dive Gear Purchasing:

You should buy your SECOND set of gear first!

My first BC was A Zeagle Ranger. I liked the vest pretty good but did end up with a bp/wing. I remember floating in the basin once with it and a guy said 'I dont like those Rangers because when you float on the surface they tend to tip you forward'. I told him thats why Im leaning backwards on it right now, and he said his allows him to float upright like a lifejacket. When he submerged after me I watched him swim at a 45 degree angle the whole way whereas I was horizontal. So to me , the swim is more important than the float. Oh and if you stay in diving long youll be changing things along the way, we all have.

I've tried a sea quest latitude XLT I like that style, I really can't find something like that,im looking for one for my first set of gear! Thanks!
Tough question, a bit open-ended. Virtually any BCD is good for a newbie - jacket, back-inflate (soft), back-inflate (hard backplate). The style of equipment is almost incidental at your stage of diving development, as long as it FITS YOU. Frankly, a simple, inexpensive, used jacket BCD would be a reasonable suggestion. Irrespective of what you buy now, you may end up buying something different in a year or two, so buy inexpensive at first. As long as it works, it is good.

Now, to be a little more specific - what is it about the Seaquest Latitude XLT that you like? Is it the jacket style? Is it the integrated weights? It it the back trim pockets?

My first BCD was a Zeagle Ranger - new, expensive, but a great BCD in many ways, still have it but haven't used it in years. My second was a backplate / wing - used, functional, still have it, still use it for personal recreational diving. My third was a Seaquest Pro QD jacket bcd - used, bought for OW classes, but very functional and I love it. I still use it after 7 years, and have no complaints.

Good diving technique - bouyancy and trim control - has little if anything to do with equipment, and everything to do with diver skill development and attitude (the 'good diver is always training' mentality). You can spend A LOT of money on pretty, new gear. Or, you can spend a modest amount on very functional, used gear, and go diving.

im just looking for something that i can buy now and in a year or two or even longer i wont need a new one.

I wonder what that could be......mmmm

I picked up a HOG stainless steel BP and 32# wing at diverightinscuba.com and I love it. I never could get used to jacket style BCD's and once I used a bp/w, I fell in love with it. I doubt I'll have to buy anything in the next few years for it unless I plan to go doubles.

Back
Top Bottom