Komodo Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Komodo later this summer. All I hear is current, current, current. Is it really that big of a deal? I heard the same thing before I went to Cocos, and while there was current, I was able to stop and take photos as I wanted to. And that is my concern... photography. Komodo seems to have a nice mix of wide angle and macro. Is the current so strong that you can't slow down and shoot some anemone fish and anemones, or nudis, or octopus, or other small critters. Just wanting to hear from those of you who have been to Komodo what the current is like...

Yes, there is wild current on some Komodo dive sites to the point where you cannot shoot a single photo. But not all dive sites are like that. There is plenty of opportunity to take pictures on a Komodo trip, but you may want to leave the camera behind on sites like Shotgun and Roller Coaster.

Would you say that current is a major issue on 50% of the sites?

No. Maybe 1/3 of the sites present difficulty and only a few make it impossible. If you ware able to shoot at Cocos, you'll be okay. But know that there may be dives you wonder why you carried the camera along. Next time I dive at Shotgun, I'm going to put the camera in video mode and just let it run!

Currents = Unpredictable!

Divemaster ( DM ) says maybe no current, Get ready.

DM says current, perhaps time to relax.

Indo. Thru Flow.

You never know.

Take your camera and use it when you can.

Good Luck!

Also check the moon cycle. If its full moon be ready to rumble! I didn't use my camera much, but everyone else did and had amazing shots. The night dives are calm and they are brilliant. On my trip, on the ripping currents, they don't last the whole dive, but there will be parts where yes, you won't be able to start, but for most of the dive you can. Mind you it wasn't full moon for me.

Enjoy its an amazing spot, and topside is beautiful too!

Just got back from Komodo and had my camera with strobes on every dive, including shot gun twice. The strongest current was on "Karang Makasar" in current city, which was like a fast roller coaster with mantas! Awesome and still took plenty of pictures and video! It was a blast and I was always able to take pictures on every dive. You might have to skip a nudi or a turtle but there are always more around the corner so to speak. We are used to current from diving in Cozumel for a few years, but the dms in Komodo really tried to plan dives around tides and currents. Have fun!!!

I've had my camera with me for every Komodo dive I've ever done. You no doubt will miss out on photo opportunities from time to time during dives due to fighting currents, but nothing that would come close to the level of concern you mention. As others have stated, not every dive has current, although at some its nearly guaranteed. One thing that sets Komodo apart from many dive destinations current-wise is the occasional down and up current.

Dive sites famous for strong currents don't always have strong currents. Moon cycles, trade winds and oceanic currents can combine together or work against each other.

The west coast of NZ is famous for having a lot of rain- we average 6m/18' per year. But it doesn't rain every day.

There was only one dive in Komodo where I regretted bringing my camera, which is fairly unwieldy. There were a few other dives where I had to duck into the lee of a coral formation to shoot. There are some nice wide-angle opportunities but very few large animals—I shot macro almost exclusively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom