Convert a backplate into a gear bag for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super Noob 1258

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today I had the idea of cutting grommets into a duffle bag so that it can be mounted to a back plate and harness. Has anyone thought of or tried a similar idea. You could fold a wing and tank adapter up into the bag and store gear or luggage for traveling. Does anybody have thoughts or experience on this? Would airlines allow it? It seems like a better way to travel with a five pound steel plate and wing than trying to pack it all up for under 50 lbs. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I just started here yesterday.

My BP/W setup weighs 1 pound more then my bulky knighthawk bcd, so unless your carrying extra weight you should be able to stay under 50#. I traveled in June, and was able to. I carry my regs, computer, and camera in my carry on backpack.

I'll check out that link in a bit but I have been thinking the same thing.

I might try to get a HD duffel bag and grommet some spots as add a Velcro flap so that I could conceal the straps if/when needed. I weighed my dive bag and it weighs 12 pounds by itself. There has got to be a better way! Only prob is I don't know if my fins will fit as a carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom