Sunk crane off Muskegon gps numbers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had an old boating friend for years tell me a story of a crane that fell off a barge south of the Muskegon channel in front of Bronson Park. A few divers I know also heard of this crane but nobody could find it. Last year one of the local divers found it with a side scan sonar. After a failed attempt Wednesday, I went back out to search for it tonight and I found it. It is just south of Bronson Park straight out from Nugent Sand in 20'. It's not a big target for my fish finder to hit but when you are over it it does show up. I did a bounce dive on it to check it out. Tomorrow I plan on doing a real dive on it with my camera. I'll post the video. It's always fun to find new dive sites.
GPS #
N 43* 11.742
W 086* 19.534

Good luck. Can't wait to see the pics.

Cool video, Brad. I need to get over there so we can dive on it sometime.

Just catching up after not reading SB for a while and this caught my eye. If it's not too much of a shameless plug, could this be the barge & crane I wrote about in my latest book "Through Surf and Storm: Shipwrecks of Muskegon County Michigan." Here's the story which is in the last chapter on "Modern Era Shipwrecks:Unnamed barge

On December 15, 1949, an unnamed work barge broke loose while being towed from Pentwater to Muskegon by the Hinkle Brothers and Bultema tug Seahorse with the smaller tug Mary B behind it. Both craft were accidently set adrift one thousand feet from the channel entrance about 8:15 p.m. when the towline from the large tug Seahorse snapped as the crew worked to shorten it in preparation to enter the
harbor. The three man barge crew then cut the tug Mary B loose to prevent damage. It disappeared into the darkness.
The men were trapped aboard the barge as the flat-bottomed vessel stranded on the sandbar and began to break up in turbulent seas about one thousand feet from shore just off the Muskegon State Park Pavilion.
An attempt to reach the three men on the 135-foot barge in the Coast Guard’s large motor lifeboat proved futile due to the shallow water and heavy ice. U. S. Coast Guard Chief Elmer Richter, accompanied by twenty-seven-year-old John Bultema, skipper of the Seahorse made it through wind-whipped seas in a small skiff to rescue the barge crew: Ralph and Floyd Hinkle, partners in the firm of Hinkle Brothers and Bultema, and twenty-one-year-old Lyle Morphew, all residents of Muskegon.
The company had just purchased the small tug Mary B at Pentwater, Michigan, for $1,500. The vessels were returning to Muskegon after having completed the removal of the Pentwater channel swing bridge. The Coast Guard issued a warning to car ferry captains to watch for the small tug, not knowing whether it sank or was still adrift.
The barge, loaded with ironwork from the bridge as well as air compressors and a large portable crane, was valued at $25,000.
The following day the barge broke in half. In what the newspaper called a “Christmas Miracle,” dozens of contractors and others with bulldozers, cranes, and trucks volunteered their time to assist in the salvage of the barge and equipment over the weekend, helping the small company avoid what would have been a tremendous loss.
Ribs and other wreckage from the small tug washed up on the beach in the week following the accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom