Din / yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickPhillips

Registered
Reaction score
I have completed intro to tec and advanced nitrox and still have an unanswered question. Why does it seem most tec divers choose din over yoke valves? Is it purely preference or is there a real reason. Thanks ahead for the quick responses

DIN is a better physical connection and is required for the higher pressure tanks that tec divers tend to use.

I prefer DIN because it's more streamlined and I don't have this big chunky valve behind my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advantages of DIN: more secure connection due to trapped o-ring, can handle higher pressures than yoke, doesn't bend when some idiot on boat picks up stage/deco tanks by yoke screw, doesn't have yoke screw sticking up to catch on overhead wiring/lumps of rock/tangles of fishing line/nets, doesn't have yoke screw sticking out of deco tanks and getting in the way. That's just the 15 seconds of thought list.

Advantages of yoke: erm... Lost me there. Only advantages I can think of for yoke refer to NDL/recreational diving.

Surely equipment choices and the reasoning behind them were discussed in your course?

...cause they're a better way to connect!!!!!
(most all my stuff is yoke)
but if i was to buy new stuff...then i'd have din!!!!!!
have fun
yaeg

Back in the day I was convinced I would go tech so my regs are all DIN with yoke converters. I never went tech and use the yoke converters most always.

My yoke valves always work fine despite the well thought out responses from the tech crowd. Best I hear is DIN is more better! The screw on connection is slightly lower profile.

I liked the Hog D1 single tank package with 7' long hose included so I went with that. I hadn't bought tanks yet so when I did I picked up some real clunkers off craigslist for $10 so I could but my own Thermo Pro Valves on them.

I am now all DIN.

Yeah we went over the differences of DIN and Yoke but either I forgot (very possible) or we never really thought of the 'why' question. Everything you guys said makes total sense, but what about as far as stage bottles. Say I have a 50% stage bottle sitting at 70 feet, are there any true advantages to a DIN rather than a yoke in that situation? I understand the HUGE help it will help when penetrating wrecks or caves. Thanks for all the info!

Other then what's already mentioned, it's generally a good idea to standardize all of your equipment around the same connection. It makes gear reuse ( before and during the dive ) easier.

DIN is better. A stronger more solid connection and more streamlined. I use only my own steel high pressure din tanks/valves and a din regulator for local dives. I have a yoke regulator, a beautiful vintage SP MK5, that I take with me on some dive trips. Many operations, especially in the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America and parts of the US may not have din valves on their rental tanks, which are almost always standard alum 80s. Sometimes I'll take both a din and a yoke first stage with one second stage. Not much extra weight, and a 1 minute change over (including the spg). Operations that cater to Americans tend to have yoke valves on their tanks, and those with a high proportion of Europeans will have both din and yoke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom