First Computer help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canadianmikey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've decided that my first major purchase is going to be a dive computer. I've started a little bit of research but still a little confused:confused:. I think that I'd like an air integrated console computer. It doesn't have to be wireless. I wish I had enough money for the Atomic Colbalt but that one costs about 3-4x then my budget:depressed:. I don't really know much about the different brands such as their different features and qualities. I know that I'd like a computer that I can grow with through AOW, nitrox etc. I'm not too intrested into getting into tech. If I could get some recommendations about them, that would be great! If you could give examples as why you like that brand and what kind of features it has, as well as a ball park price range, it would help my quest a lot! Now having said that I'd like an AI console, I'd also be open to a non AI wrist computer if it fits in the budget better.

Thanks
MIkey

I not sure of your budget, but the SubGear XP-10 is an excellent non-AI wrist computer at a great value.

Get a computer that is Nitrox compatible, one the user can change the battery (which I think they all are now). Get one with numbers you can easily read under water and one that you understand how it works. Entry level is fine for now and save your coins for the big ticket item after you have gotten the rest of your gear together.

What is your budget?

I like Aeris/Oceanic as they are less conservative. I have an Epic which does everything but Helium. So deco, nitrox to 99%, monitors 3 gasses remotely, all the stuff one would never do. Its watch sized, very readable despite the small size and it ROCKS!

DiveAeris.com - Scuba Diving Computers - Epic Hoseless Dive Computer Watch

My Aeris Atmos II is a great wrist computer but its big and black/green. It does everything a dive computer needs to do but can not give me pressure. The current model is XR1 NX. At $200 a bargain.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...ort_0/Filter_brand=Aeris/Page_1/AERXRNXW.html

http://www.diveaeris.com/p_computers_xr1nx.html
http://www.diveaeris.com/PDF/12-7129-r03.pdf

There are some OLED puters out now but they are $1200 starting so pricy. I like this model but $1200 minimum....

DG05 Dive Computer by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

Good Luck

I'm using a Oceanic VT-4 which is a wireless AI unit nice size display does mixed gas, multiple tanks, bu.. I mean an additional divers transmitter and the list goes on. I would suggest that you get a computer that can at least do nitrox although honestly I think you would have to search for one that doesn't these days.

Don't under estimate the value of your LDS. Try them on and see what fits. Many divers get hung up in the tech of there computers not taking into account the basics. Ease of use readability etc. Something you won't necessarily see in pictures. My VT-4 is great for me but it may not be the computer for you. The other thing to consider is service. If something goes wrong with the computer how will the company deal with the problem. Try this.

Go to your LDS ask them to show you computers one at a time in price order from the cheapest to the more expensive. let them walk you through the features and stop when you get to your budget limit. Going from bottom to top you won't feel like your missing out on something.

Non AI Wrist- Suunto Zoop...affordable, easy to read, bullet proof, proven.. $320-$350

AI Console- Oceanic Pro Plus 2....easy to read, does everything a rec diver needs, AI, and I've seen them new going for $450. This was an $800 computer not long ago.

Suunto Cobra- same as Oceanic, proven, easy to use, AI, computer download available.

I use a Cobra and Zoop. However, I would be just as happy with an Oceanic.

Last edited:
Mikey,
I bought my hosed integrated Suunto Cobra about ten years ago and it's got about 90 dives on it. I love that beast and would buy another if I had too. Does nitrox too, which you WILL want to get when you buy a computer. The Oceanic Pro-Plus is also nice from what I have read. I'm not sure if I would buy a wireless integrated unit as it seems likes it's 50/50 on weather of not you will have communication issues between the sending unit and the receiver. Bruce

I've decided that my first major purchase is going to be a dive computer. I've started a little bit of research but still a little confused:confused:. I think that I'd like an air integrated console computer. It doesn't have to be wireless. I wish I had enough money for the Atomic Colbalt but that one costs about 3-4x then my budget:depressed:. I don't really know much about the different brands such as their different features and qualities. I know that I'd like a computer that I can grow with through AOW, nitrox etc. I'm not too intrested into getting into tech. If I could get some recommendations about them, that would be great! If you could give examples as why you like that brand and what kind of features it has, as well as a ball park price range, it would help my quest a lot! Now having said that I'd like an AI console, I'd also be open to a non AI wrist computer if it fits in the budget better.

Thanks
MIkey

G'day, mate!

Would be nice to know approximately your budget before making any suggestions! :)
If you are so attached to air-integrated option - you can build air-integrated console with dive computers that can be worn on wrist as well, like Mares Puck (LeisurePro, SKU ID: MRSMP2CC - go to LeisurePro and enter that ID into search field). Price for this is USD275, or you may try out Tusa Element II IQ-750 (LeisurePro, SKU ID: TBTSCA252, price is USD290 on sale).

These dive computers support diving with Nitrox (Puck - 1 Nitrox mix, Tusa - 2 Nitrox mixes). Tusa has more options, like additional gas mix and FREEdiving mode, but it shouldn't scare you, as you don't want to go deep into technical things!

You may also visit WWW.dive-computer-wizard.com where I've been collecting dive computers info, reviews and ratings for few years, so definitly you will find answers on your questions over there!

Good luck with your quest, mate!

My budget is in the $3-500 range. So far, the ones I'm looking at are the Suunta Cobra, mares puck air, the aries XR-2 or the Subgear XP-H. Any thoughts?

I just bought an Aeris Xr1 Nx. It's easy to use, inexpenisive, does nitrox.
it will work for me until I'm ready to do tech classes, than I'd like to get a Xen or something else with an LED screen. The only thing I don't like is that it's not downloadable. But, it's okay for what it is.
i don't like air integrated. My husband had issues with his from time to time. I prefer an old-fashioned spg for my air.
the only thing I wish mine had was a digital compass. I don't like to have my compass as a separate item from my computer. But, an analog compass is pretty fail-proof, as long as its kept level. I've heard issues about the digital compasses. I do need a compass that is reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom