Using an integrated computer on vacation diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryBDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A while back I went to an Oceanic VT4 integrated computer with the wireless transmitter. I'm going vacation diving and will take my computer with me but rent regs, BCD, etc. I'm going to read through the manual to see what it says, if anything, but has anyone done this much? Obviously, I won't be able to read my air pressure and air time remaining from my wrist as usual, but NDC in minutes should still be there. Otherwise, I keep an eye on the gauge and do it old school with a little more focus on how much air to have in the tank when I start my ascent. Any comments from others with similar experiince, let me know.

Thanks

I don't rent regs (as I always bring my own on vacation), but I don't see why you can't bring your transmitter and screw it on your rented first stage. Just bring the appropriate Allen wrench and the appropriate open end wrench. (I found that a Park Tool SCW-17 bike wrench is thin, lightweight and packable and works perfectly with my VT-3.)

I know I'm not answering your question but bring your regs and problem solved.

The only difference for you should be the lack of air pressure information on your wrist, everything else will be absolutely the same. But I'm with the previous poster, bring your reg and forget about the rental. If I could only bring one piece of equipment on a trip it would always be my regulator above anything else.

I have to agree. I'm not all that crazy about using someone elses unless I'm OOA. Mine go in my carry on when I travel.

I don't rent regs (as I always bring my own on vacation), but I don't see why you can't bring your transmitter and screw it on your rented first stage. Just bring the appropriate Allen wrench and the appropriate open end wrench. (I found that a Park Tool SCW-17 bike wrench is thin, lightweight and packable and works perfectly with my VT-3.)

I agree.
I'm sure that if you are diving with a reputable dive operator they would probably do it for you if you ask them. That is if you are not comfortable DIY and assure that you have the same reg each time you dive. My only concern would be that the possibility of damage to the transmitter increases each time you install and remove it from the reg. My transmitter is removed from my reg once a year for annual service. Under the conditions you describe your removing it and installing it 2 times per trip. Not to mention the cost if let's say you realize as you are boarding the plane for your return home that you left it attached to the rented reg.

I like many others carry on my own reg. It did take a bad experience for me to get there but now the thought of using a rental reg would for me be unacceptable. However with baggage restrictions and alike I can understand why it would be an option to consider. Worst case scenario you can run your VT-4 in gauge mode and enjoy your dive. You wont have the tank data but whats more important the dive or the data.

Reading through the manual, the free dive mode looks like it might be an option. It tracks elapsed dive time, nitrogen loading, depth, but no air pressure data. Less clutter on the screen and the NDC is shown in minutes. I might try that if I can get an easy, shallow dive to start things off. This is such a long business trip (20+ hours in airplanes/airports), that I hate to pack the regs. Maybe that's the ticket for a shorter trip.

We sometimes have customers come and bring there computer + transmitter and just add the transmitter onto the rental regs for them.. maybe that could be an option?

My buddy has shipped them with insurance on several occasions. I personally bring mine but that might be an option.

Reading through the manual, the free dive mode looks like it might be an option. It tracks elapsed dive time, nitrogen loading, depth, but no air pressure data. Less clutter on the screen and the NDC is shown in minutes. I might try that if I can get an easy, shallow dive to start things off. This is such a long business trip (20+ hours in airplanes/airports), that I hate to pack the regs. Maybe that's the ticket for a shorter trip.

What's wrong with you? Your a accedent waiting to happen.
You can turn the wireless off or set it to gauge mode. Go back to your dive shop and have them explain how that computer works or call oceanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom