Suunto D9 reading only 2/3 actual depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi divers,
yesterday whilst diving in Haiti, a remote enough place and one where you need to be able to trust the kit you have, I was horrified to discover that my D9 is reading only 2/3 of the actual depth.
I continued monitoring against other computers and my analogue guage and watch showed that the D9 maintained its 2/3 depth reading through out the dives.
Any one else encountered such an issue?
I am heading to Miami at the end of the month, and could get it looked at, however it was purchased in the UK, so a cheap back up computer may be on the cards. Any recommendations?
thanks!

It seems to me Suunto computers have a history of depth sensor failures. They either give false readings or get stuck in permanent dive mode. I had a Gekko which went into permanent dive mode.

If it is less than 3 years old Suunto will probably give you a new one.

It seems to me the pressure (depth) sensor in your D9 needs to be replaced. Suunto has two service centers in the US and one of them happens to be in Tampa, Florida. When in Miami give them a call to see how long to do the job and how much it´ll cost you. That is, assuming the warranty on your D9 has expired.

Back
Top Bottom