Wing BCD and Weight issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattWilliams

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello,
I have a Seac Sub Icaro tech wing and the problem i am having is because it has a crotch strap because i put on my weight belt and then my BCD the crotch strap goes over my weight belt making it impossible for me to be able to dump my weights if i needed,
Do they make weight pockets that could go onto my BC belly strap?

Cheers!

XS Scuba makes weight pouches that slide onto 2" webbing. I'm assuming thats what you are using. You can also place them on your cam bands to help trim out if need be. I use them on my cam bands, personally.

Oldest tradition in SCUBA: weight belt goes on last.

Not if losing the weight belt will cause more problems than it cures, such as in an overhead environment, or with a deco obligation.

Recommend you continue working on a balanced kit and buoyancy. I've finally found that a 3mm wetsuit along with my BP/W (SS 6# plate) using an AL 80 will allow me to dive and hold a 20' to 15' safety stop for 3 minutes with no additional weight at all. Different conditions my require changes, but the point is try to find the kit configuration that requires the least amount of additional weight. Then it won't matter where you put it, cause you could swim it up in an emergency.

I would be much more concerned about the accidental loss of a weight belt and the subsequent uncontrolled ascent than anything else. But that's just me.

Not if losing the weight belt will cause more problems than it cures, such as in an overhead environment, or with a deco obligation.

True, but those are "tail wagging the dog" exceptions to the general rule.

As it was taught years ago, "...a weight belt is cheaper than a coffin..."

-hh

hello,
I have a Seac Sub Icaro tech wing and the problem i am having is because it has a crotch strap because i put on my weight belt and then my BCD the crotch strap goes over my weight belt making it impossible for me to be able to dump my weights if i needed,
Do they make weight pockets that could go onto my BC belly strap?

Cheers!
I have almost the same set-up: BP/W with separate weight belt. However I use a zippered pouches belt with soft weights. I put the weight belt on first
then the BP/W, crouch strap over the weight belt, since my BP webbing buckle is on my right side, Ive set my weight belt buckle to be on the left side.
It will slide off if you pull it, there is nothing to snag it. It won't drop off cleanly, however if I rotate to either side it will slide off. The issue would be with hard weights, in a conventional setup. The hard weights will snag on the crouch strap. I have seen tech divers with hard weights, but the weights were the bullet/cylindrical style and they were concentrated on the sides. The only way I see that working is the weight belt is placed over the crouch strap and the belt/weights would not interfere with the "D" rings fore and aft. I'm not an expert here, just sharing my observations.

Back
Top Bottom