Girlie non diving question.. [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Girlie non diving question..

Sponsored Link

Natasha
December 8th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Have you ever cut your long hair?
If so, were you happy or disappointed afterward?

Jesse measured my hiar last night. It is exactly 2 feet long.
I'm thinking about cutting it.
Should I?

diverlady
December 8th, 2003, 03:16 PM
How short are you thinking? I got my hair cut right off - above the shirt collar short - and got a number of compliments and one negative comment - I looked older. I kept it short for about year then let it grow long again but it's not 2 ft long!

How about getting it cut off in stages?

Diverlady

Natasha
December 8th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Stages might be a good idea.
I don't want to look older..that's for sure. I'm already quite old.

Jersey
December 8th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Is that 2 feet from the crown or ears or shoulders?

Always had really long hair, more then midway down my back (or front). 1992 - I sheared it up to having the back of my neck shaved. Looked really cute. Kind of an updated Dorothy Hamell.

(Let's talk about really dumb things women do for men - I cut it because my boyfriend of the time 1:) loved it long & 2:) we had a fight in which he accused me of trying to act like a man. Problem was he loved it short.)

Had grown it back in until Oct when I noticed the ends were really ratty & bleached out from sun & salt water. Had it chopped up to a chin length bob & highlighted (first time ever!) with warm caramel & honey colors. Friends love it. Feel younger & more chic.

I figure it will grow back if I don't like it & it's not as permanent as some other fashion statements. Let us know what you do.

Jersey

chickdiver
December 8th, 2003, 03:38 PM
I've had short hair mostof my adult life! I first cut it when I was 11, let it grow shhoulder length in college and then whacked it off again. Im letting it grow again now for the first time in 10 years. Short hair is great- really hassle free except that yo have to make sure you have a good cut and you have to have it trimmed more often.

Natasha
December 8th, 2003, 03:38 PM
I don't think I have the 'balls' to shave you like you did. ( Might get edited from my fellow Mods for that. ;) )

It's 2 feet from the crown. So maybe 6 to 8 inches after it covers my bra in the back.
It just feels so out of style. So hippie 70's'ish

ScubaJewel
December 8th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Hey were girls we can do whatever we want...

I would suggest cutting it off all the way (style you are thinking about) and then let it grow back if you don't like it.

Women have a tendency to get hung up in a rut and don't change frequently enough.

Go cut your hair, Have a makeover and see what you've been missing

Julie

chickdiver
December 8th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Here's a thought- and it fits with the "stages" idea as well. Have you thought about cuttng it to about shoulder length? According to my stylist- thats retty universally flattering length, and you could "update" your look without making too drastic a change. Try highlighting (or lowlightin if you ae a cotton top like me)- it makes a world of difference!

Spectre
December 8th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Natasha once bubbled...
It just feels so out of style. So hippie 70's'ish

ahh!!! What's that mean!?

*chuckle*

Here's a question. What are you looking for with your question? Just 'love it/hate it'? It'll definately be a personal feeling. But remember one thing... it'll grow back.

Since I'm not sure what you're looking for, I can't tell if I have nothing to add, so I'll answer the question.

Obviously I grew up with short hair. Didn't like it, it grew way too fast to keep looking decent [haircuts every couple weeks if I wanted to keep it looking good... I opted for 'wait until dad starts freaking'].

So it went long. I went about 10 years just lopping off drastic amounts at a time [12-24 inches per haircut]. Always to a shoulder length. The last 3 years I've been trying to keep it relatively shorter... Keeps it from getting stuck under my backplate... or stuck other places ;)

sapphire
December 8th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Natasha,

There is an organization that takes donations of hair to make wigs for children who are undergoing treatment for cancer. I don't know the name of it, but I can find out from my hair salon. They recently conducted a charity hair cut day. It has to be a certain length of hair, I am not sure how many inches. I think it is called "Locks for Love" or something like that.

Anyway, if you are trying to decide how much, you may want to consider this option. By the way, salons that are involved in this program usually cut your hair for free...

sapphire

PS - I think you will like your new look, and you will look younger, not older :D because you will have something new and different!!

O-ring
December 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Spectre once bubbled...

ahh!!! What's that mean!?

*chuckle*

Here's a question. What are you looking for with your question? Just 'love it/hate it'? It'll definately be a personal feeling. But remember one thing... it'll grow back.

Since I'm not sure what you're looking for, I can't tell if I have nothing to add, so I'll answer the question.

Obviously I grew up with short hair. Didn't like it, it grew way too fast to keep looking decent [haircuts every couple weeks if I wanted to keep it looking good... I opted for 'wait until dad starts freaking'].

So it went long. I went about 10 years just lopping off drastic amounts at a time [12-24 inches per haircut]. Always to a shoulder length. The last 3 years I've been trying to keep it relatively shorter... Keeps it from getting stuck under my backplate... or stuck other places ;)
Already have the clippers ready for your first nap... :D

Jersey
December 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Chickdiver - I agree, shoulder length looks great on most people, ends curve around & frame the face. Plus it gives you up or down options. I'm about 2 inches shorter then that & it's tough to get it into an updo without wispy ends. I have found I do have to get a trim every 6 weeks or it looks ratty. When it was long, I'd just wear it up until I could get a cut.

And a good cut is worth the price. Find someone with hair similar to yours & ask for their advice.

smrtblnddiver
December 8th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I had perfectly straight, waist length hair until 8th grade and I cut it in stages. I went mid back and permed first and then shoulder length until my Senior year of high school. Since then, I've probably had every style imaginable but haven't gone back to it being past my shoulders.

When it comes to hair, my philosophy has always been "if I don't like it, it will grow".

Spectre
December 8th, 2003, 04:00 PM
O-ring once bubbled...
Already have the clippers ready for your first nap... :D

I snip a hose for each strand of hair you snip...

O-ring
December 8th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Spectre once bubbled...

I snip a hose for each strand of hair you snip...
I better bring my air integrated computer and hoseless second stage...

Wendy
December 8th, 2003, 04:16 PM
This may help you make your decision

http://www.locksoflove.org/

chickdiver
December 8th, 2003, 04:17 PM
O-ring once bubbled...

I better bring my air integrated computer and hoseless second stage...

Put the clippers on the floor and back away!

Or face my wrath as well ;)

O-ring
December 8th, 2003, 04:20 PM
chickdiver once bubbled...

Put the clippers on the floor and back away!

Or face my wrath as well ;)
Oh come on...we can give him a "high and tight" and have him looking like a little jarhead in no time!

chickdiver
December 8th, 2003, 04:25 PM
O-ring once bubbled...

Oh come on...we can give him a "high and tight" and have him looking like a little jarhead in no time!

But then I won't have anything to lead him around by.......

O-ring
December 8th, 2003, 04:26 PM

:alert:

sapphire
December 8th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Wendy once bubbled...
This may help you make your decision

http://www.locksoflove.org/

Thanks for finding that, Wendy! At least my memory of the name was correct... :)

sapphire

O-ring
December 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM
sapphire once bubbled...

Thanks for finding that, Wendy! At least my memory of the name was correct... :)

sapphire
The Fab 5 donate all the locks from the hippies they fix to that organization. Good idea!

Wristshot
December 8th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Natasha, if you are interested in an opinion of a guy who is about your same vintage, then here is mine. (I don't pretend to speak for all men, and I do realize that this is in the Women's forum, but here goes anyway)

I LOVE long hair (on women). The longer the better. Don't care about split ends. Late for a date because you are drying your hair? Just let me know and I will forgive you. Want help washing it? OMG. Love the long hair. Love the look and the feel of it. Yes, it gets in the way, but I don't mind because I love long hair. Simple and straight? That's great. Curly and cute? That's a beaut.

Unsolicited Opinion from a California Curmudgeon.

Wristshot

Did I mentioned that I love long hair?

SueMermaid
December 8th, 2003, 05:09 PM
I have extermely long hair, too.
I am afraid to have it cut.
It'll bleed. :eek:

Natasha
December 8th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Wristshot:
Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know some men still like long hair. I think most don't care anymore.

Spectre:
The reason for the question was really to see if any women had long hair, cut it, and were sorry afterwards.
I thought I could learn from their mistakes, if that was the case.
But, so far it seems most were very happy.

As far as my 70's hippie comment..this is 2003..almost 2004 right? Shouldn't my hair get with the times? ;)

Natasha
December 8th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Wendy and Jennifer:
That's is a great web site. If I don't do it in stages, which I probably will, I will contact them. I have seen Oprah giving them people's hair on her show. Great idea indeed.
Thanks.

CuriousMe
December 8th, 2003, 07:09 PM
I had short hair most of my growing up years....grew it out very long (3/4 of the way down my back) through my 20's and got it cut first to shoulder length in my 30's. Since then it's gotten shorter each time...now, it is really pretty short. I love it short (hence why it keeps getting shorter ;)).

I think (and friends have mentioned) that I look younger with it shorter....truthfully, no one guesses my age....that could also be that I still don't act my age of course ;)

Go for it! It will grow back if you hate it....and if you don't, you'll wonder if you should have.

You'll have to post a pic of your new do!

Peace,
Cathie

seaangel
December 8th, 2003, 07:14 PM
I can't speak for other women of our age, but for me I have never regretted cutting my hair. I have had all lengths from long to almost shaved short ( that one I did not care for but it grew out fast)

What I might suggest is find a salon that has a computer program to give you some ideas of how you will look with different lengths and styles. I am sure there are some around where you live, we have one or two here.

There may be one on line some how, but I am not familiar with any.

I am most happy with my hair at a medium to short cut and I vary it some. I let the back grow longer, keep the sides short kind of a shag style or I go and cut all over shorter. My hair grows fast so it is not a problem. Just have fun with it and see what you like the most.

As for you Spectre, well no offense but there is now way you can compare your hair to Natasha's, sorry! Even though you have a really great head of hair yours is a guy thing not a girlie thing.

O Ring I will back you up with my scissors or shears if you need me to!

chickdiver
December 8th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Y'all are causig me stress. I have to admit- I was adedicated "men should have short hair" advocate until a couple of months ago. Now..... let's just say I understand why men like women with long hair :).

Cave Diver
December 8th, 2003, 08:33 PM

You could always try a nose (or other strategically placed) ring.... ;)

Spectre
December 8th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Cave Diver once bubbled...

You could always try a nose (or other strategically placed) ring.... ;)

Uh... NO!

O-ring
December 8th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Spectre once bubbled...

Uh... NO!
I heard he has a Prince Albert.. Just attach some cave line...or better yet, a double ender...

Spectre
December 8th, 2003, 08:42 PM
O-ring once bubbled...

I heard he has a Prince Albert.. Just attach some cave line...or better yet, a double ender...

Hey eric..

Shut up!

chickdiver
December 8th, 2003, 08:42 PM
O-ring once bubbled...

uh....NO!!!!!!!

O-ring
December 8th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Who needs a crotch ring for scootering? Just attach tow cord to ole' alberto and voila!

96hokies
December 8th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Sounds to me like you have at LEAST 10" you can spare (minimum) and many salons will give you a free cut if you donate to locks of love.

http://www.locksoflove.org/salons.html
They use the donations to make hair pieces for cancer patients.

I had shoulder/bra length hair for a very long time, about a month before I got married I had it cut so it was short. And I mean SHORT. Longest lenth anywhere on my head was about 4", shaved in the back angled forward, LOVED IT! The hairdresser was very concerned I would come back and want to kill her since it was so close to my wedding, almost begged me to wait but I needed STYLE and my hair was just boring before.

It's grown out a bit but is still only chin length angled bob. It's much better than the pony tail, or the "sloppy swoop" with clip.

Others may have mentioned it but please consider locks of love seriously, it means the world to those kids. There are conditions about color treated or damage so read up on it first.

96hokies

Cave Diver
December 8th, 2003, 09:34 PM
96hokies once bubbled...
Sounds to me like you have at LEAST 10" you can spare (minimum) and many salons will give you a free cut if you donate to locks of love.

Is that before or after the above mentioned tow cord modification? :confused:

Scuba_Jenny
December 8th, 2003, 10:36 PM
When I first started diving my hair was to my waist, I was so happy after I cut it all off nice and short. I hated the 45 minutes I used to spend trying to get all the knots and tangles out despite my best efforts of controlling them. My hair grows pretty fast, so I get it cut in the summertime for the diving and let it grow thro the winter. Its to my mid shoulders right now, and my bangs are almost long enough to put into a ponytail...but this summer, here come the sissors!
The way I look at it, if I get a bad haircut at least it will grow out!

BTW, My daughter who was 6 at the time gave over a foot of hair to locks of love. I hated the fight to brush it and she felt so good giving it away...everybody was happy!:)

Gibbon
December 8th, 2003, 11:08 PM
but I've been there.
I've had hair half way down my back a couple of times (second time was to prove I could do it again), and as others have said: It's just soo much easier to take care of when short.

I DO agree with wristshot in that I love long hair on women, but I have to say that I love short hair too.

Cave Diver
December 9th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Gibbon once bubbled...
I DO agree with wristshot in that I love long hair on women, but I have to say that I love short hair too.

I'd hafta agree with that too. I think a lot of the time it's the woman that makes the haircut, not the haircut making the woman.

Phish-phood
December 9th, 2003, 05:56 AM
I had really long hair, down past my waist when I decided I was fed up with taking three hours to wash and dry my hair so I got it all cut up short to my ears. My hairdresser was more upset at the time than I was because I had long red hair that was really soft and shiny. I did end up regretting it after a few weeks and grew it back down past my shoulders but it was never really the same, it never quite got that thickness back so ended up always looking really thin and flyaway. I cut it back up to a layered style which I loved and kept it like that for a couple of years until I decided to try growing it long again which I am doing now. It is badly in need of a cut so the ends are a bit ragged but other than that it is really healthy and shiny.
I swear by Dove moisturising shampoo and conditioner alternating once a week with Revlon Flex to give it a break, but the one product I really swear by is Redken Soft Ends, a moisturiser with advocado oils that you put on the ends of your hair before blow drying to protect them from drying out. It works wonders, I haven't cut my hair in over five months and it's only starting to look ragged now thanks to this product. Its also great to keep a bottle of it with your dive kit and just rub some through the ends after being in the water to stop it drying out and make it really easy to brush.

If you are wary about cutting it short how about getting some nice soft layers aroud the front or cutting in a sweeping fringe, that'll give you a totally diferent style without you losing your hair ;)

FredT
December 9th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Think of Spectre's hair as a weather insurance policy.

On the DL 2001 trip to Pompano we has some bad weather the first day of the trip. My dive buddy sacrificed about 8" of my son's hair to Posideon with the aid of 3 LEOs and a sharp dive knife.

Perfect weather for the rest of the trip!

FT

cobaltbabe
December 9th, 2003, 10:59 AM
and I keep threatening OD that I am going to get it cut. I have been told that I can get a trim but not cut it. Plus I don't like short hair on myself.

greenalien
December 9th, 2003, 12:45 PM
When I'm considering different styles, colors, ect. I go to a wig shop and try on different wigs to see what they look like ON ME. My face shape is such that I look drastically different in different styles and lengths. Besides it's fun too.

:martian:

Marebythesea
December 9th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Phish-phood once bubbled...

If you are wary about cutting it short how about getting some nice soft layers aroud the front or cutting in a sweeping fringe, that'll give you a totally diferent style without you losing your hair ;) [/B]

I'm with you Phish-pood...I've had really really really pixie short hair and really long hair and I like long hair best. With long hair you have so much more flexibility...when I'm working in the garden or working out, I can put it up in a ponytail or tuck it away under a baseball cap. If I'm just hanging out around the house or in a hurry I can braid it. .. long hair can be worn up or down, curly or straight.

Since my hair is thin and fine, I try not to use heat or curlers on it. After I wash and condition, I put a spritz of either Clean or Bath & Body Works Rice Flower and Shea body splash and some Perfect Plus finishing products on my hair, twist it and then role it up wet. I wear it up the first day and then down the second day. Of course if I've been involved in real physical work my hair may get washed every day or sometimes twice a day. As for the twisting, it gives my hair really soft waves and curls -- it just gets too dried out with curling irons and blow dryers.

I usually dive an AGA mask with OTS's Buddy Phone for coms. The AGA is so easy to put on and take off, you don't pull out bunches of hair like you do with other masks. An other added benefit is that it protects your face so you feel a little warmer in cold water. When I do use a regular mask, I put Johnson's Baby detangler on my hair before each dive. I've also found that a beanie is helpful. Since my hair is blond and bleaches out easily I use hair products that have SPF protection. I love Phyto for washing and conditioning and Nick Chavez's Perfect Plus finishing products for the final fufu stuff.

I wear my hair long because I like it that way, it makes me feel good and when you feel good about yourself, you look good. An added bonus is that my SO likes it too. He hates short hair and considers anything shoulder length or less as short. Many of my friends say they don't care about how their mates like their hair, but I do, as I know he cares about my likes and dislikes. There is nothing more intimate and pleasing than after a day of diving together having the person you love wash your hair and then brush it out.

Allen42
December 9th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Wristshot once bubbled...
Natasha, if you are interested in an opinion of a guy who is about your same vintage, then here is mine. (I don't pretend to speak for all men, and I do realize that this is in the Women's forum, but here goes anyway)

I LOVE long hair (on women). The longer the better. Don't care about split ends. Late for a date because you are drying your hair? Just let me know and I will forgive you. Want help washing it? OMG. Love the long hair. Love the look and the feel of it. Yes, it gets in the way, but I don't mind because I love long hair. Simple and straight? That's great. Curly and cute? That's a beaut.

Unsolicited Opinion from a California Curmudgeon.

Wristshot

Did I mentioned that I love long hair?
What he said.... please don't cut it!

Natasha
December 10th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Last night @ dinner I said to David..'I'm thinking of cutting my hair'.
He turned white, instantly.
I was shocked.
He blurted out, "How short?"
I said, " I don't know yet, why do you care, you never say anything about my hair? Men on scuba board say they love long hair. Do you love long hair?"
He said, "Yes." And lowered his head.
So there you have it. I've been married to a man for 3 1/2 years that never told me he loved long hair. He only tells me when it looks bad. Ha!
I think I'll go for a trim... Thanks again everyone.

8buck
December 10th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Just my two psi. Women and hair??? hmmmmmm I love women with long hair. Blonde red brown black but if it is anything but blonde then they look really good in a sprial curl, the kinky perm thing. I also do alot of rodeoing so the ladies who are in the arena in the mornings with their hair in a baseball cap with the pony hanging out the back looks really nice kinda the girl next door look. Now I have seen and met some ladies with short hair and they look great. but sitting around running your fingers through there hair watching a movie or the way they look out of the corner of their eyes and smile with the hair falling across their face is just kinda nice. but then again I do not have to wash or dry it or worry about all the stuff keeping it healthly. Oh well you ladies need to do what makes you happy. I know going from long hair to the bob thing is like hitting a wall or running out out of air at 130ft but it will grow on everyone and at the same time it will grow out...

Wristshot
December 10th, 2003, 06:36 PM
did I mention that I REALLY like long hair?

Wristshot
December 11th, 2003, 02:53 AM
(9 hours later)

So Natasha, (and anyone else still reading ) I had some thoughts about the hair issue while I was driving away from work this evening. Yeah, I think about hair while I am plodding through traffic in Silicon Valley. (how sad is that?)

It occurred to me that I have told some women with short hair that their hair looked cute. And short hair can be cute. I have told a lot of women with long hair that their hair was beautiful. And long hair can be really beautiful. I have never told a woman with short hair that her hair was beautiful. Never. Never thought about it before, but there it is.

So you could ask yourself, what is it that you are going for; "Beautiful" or "cute". Nothing wrong with cute. Cute is good. And for women that are satisfied with cute, that's great. More power to 'em. But is that enough for you? Just askin' . . . just wondering.

Just my two more cents because the Internet is open to everyone.

Wristshot.

PS: Did I mention that I really like long hair?

diverlady
December 11th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Wristshot once bubbled...

I had some thoughts about the hair issue while I was driving away from work this evening. Yeah, I think about hair while I am plodding through traffic in Silicon Valley. (how sad is that?)

Glad to know you're keeping yourself busy during stop-and-go traffic. :D

Diverlady

cobaltbabe
December 11th, 2003, 09:44 AM
I prefer my long hair at this age (38) but I do know that there is going to be a time that I am going to have to cut it. How many older ladies do you see with long hair. Not many. Once your hair turns grey, or golden as my Gran use to say, long hair tends to take on a stringy quality and although it looks nice when up, it really doesn't hold the same luster and beauty as someone who hasn't gone grey. This is of course my own opinion. As far as long hair and diving, I put it in a pony and then flip it. It only took once to get it caught in my wet suit zipper before I got it ontop of my head.

Natasha, I am so glad that you are keeping your hair. Mine is my pride and joy as silly as that may seem. :)

NJDiveGirl
December 11th, 2003, 10:01 AM
as a girl who had long hair (not 2 ft though!) and cut it off - DONT DO IT!!!!

only advantage was I had no issues with hair in my drysuit seal - but I'd rather deal with that then fight with it every other which way!!!!

I'm glad you are only going for the trim!

Cave Diver
December 11th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Who'da thunk that a simple haircut coulda stirred up so much passion?!?

IndigoBlue
December 11th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Natasha once bubbled...
Have you ever cut your long hair?
If so, were you happy or disappointed afterward?

Jesse measured my hiar last night. It is exactly 2 feet long.
I'm thinking about cutting it.
Should I?

The standard for hair length in our family is -- How well does the hair length go with scuba diving?

My wife asks me about bangs in the front every few months, and I mention to her that it is easier to keep the hair away from her mask if her hair is long enough in the front to braid it back. So bangs are not a great idea for scuba, in my male opinion.

Then she asks me, Well don't you think I would look better with bangs?

And I then constantly have to re-remind her that to me she looks extremely good any way, no matter what.

Her hair is about one foot long. And that is perfect for scuba. She can braid it and tie it and it stays out of the way of her mask, and stays nicely under her hood. We keep it trimmed to 1 foot in length.

Natasha
December 12th, 2003, 12:07 PM
I should tell you diving and my hair have never been a problem. I put one barrett in, at the bottom of my neck, and tuck my hair in my BC. Never a problem.

Polpessa
December 12th, 2003, 08:22 PM
I'm glad you've decided to trim rather than cut it short. I cut my long hair very short and found it was WAY more work to keep it looking good than long hair. I had to get it cut much more frequently, use product etc etc whereas when it's long I just wash it, put in some no rinse conditioner and go, or blow dry if it's cold out. This only takes 10 mins even though my hair's long...plus I think long hair is very sensual and feminine, I love the feel of it on my back or the smell of it when freshly washed. Don't cut it.

As for older women, it's true that most in North America and Europe cut theirs but it's a shame. In India you see lots of silver and white haired old women with long, long braids and I think they look very dignified and beautiful, much nicer than the permed grandmas....

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1