Workshops at Portage this weekend, July 20,21,22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Since I will be attending the annual DAN BBQ at Portage Quarry this upcoming weekend I thought I'd let you all know I will also be available to do the following workshops. Dive Planning, Buoyancy and Trim, Basic Rescue Skills, and Buddy Skills with an emphasis on Effective Communication. Spots will be limited and I need to know as soon as possible who is interested.

I will also be gauging interest in a workshop to be conducted in August at either Portage or Gilboa. This one full day workshop (9am - 5pm) will be similar to the Disaster Scenarios workshop I just attended at Dutch Springs for technical divers. The difference will be that this will be geared towards the single tank recreational diver (although doubles will be welcome) and put heavy emphasis on teamwork to avoid and deal with serious issues in the water.

Topics covered will be proper buddy skills, entanglements, lost or failed equipment, rescue skills, OOA scenarios and proper responses to them, buddy breathing, valve feathering by a buddy to deal with free flows, and aided ascents in the event of lost mask, loss of buoyancy control, and overweighting. We will also spend some time looking at site evaluation and skill evaluation in choosing a dive buddy for recreational diving.

Since this will be open to all levels of recreational divers class size will be limited to 8 divers (4 buddy teams) initially. If you have a regular buddy this will be a great opportunity to tweak and enhance your skills for safety and enjoyment. If not, a buddy will be assigned and that opportunity will be used to demonstrate the proper way to evaluate a new buddy and plan a dive with them.

If there is enough demand I will consider extending the weekend by a day and have another on sunday or perhaps friday (preferred) depending on your schedules.

All of the elements for the workshops I will be offering this weekend will make up parts of the workshop in August. We will also look at adding issues you wish to address if time allows.

Since this will be a pilot for future events like this, as I was able to make suggestions for future versions of the workshop I took myself, you will have a hand in creating future versions of this one geared toward the single tank recreational diver. So consider the effect your own opinions and ideas can have on improving diver safety for others and sign up for this. You could make a serious impact on the safety of future divers by bringing your own ideas and skill sets (which you will be credited for) to this workshop.

I look forward to seeing a lot of old friends I do not get to interract with nearly enough this weekend and to meeting new ones. I will not be camping at the quarry this year but will be there early Friday afternoon until around 6, all day Saturday and staying for Dan Orr's presentation that evening, and all day Sunday. Look for the Blue Canopy with the UDM Aquatics and HOG/Edge banners and the red Toyota Rav4 with my signs.

Cost per topic is $45.00 with discounts given for those who want to do multiple sessions. And as with all my training bring a buddy and get referral credits in the form of a discount as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom