Spanish Spotted Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Harvesting spanish spotted lobster during closed spiny season. What are your opinions? I have never seen this done and wonder about getting some in the off season. A run in with FWC with a snare and catch bag might be looked at with a sneer but should be legal. They are much smaller but larger than shrimp and I eat those.

Harvesting spanish spotted lobster during closed spiny season. What are your opinions? I have never seen this done and wonder about getting some in the off season. A run in with FWC with a snare and catch bag might be looked at with a sneer but should be legal. They are much smaller but larger than shrimp and I eat those.

I've only ever seen a few, but out of the 3 I've caught, 2 had eggs and the other one I simply decided was too small to be worth the effort. If they appeared to be very plentiful then I might consider it, but with how few of them that I see, I think they are best left where they are.

There is no season for Spanish lobster (they're an unregulated species), so while you may get a sneer, you're not breaking any law.

However... In the 2-3 weeks before mini season... I would exercise caution with a catch bag period.

The only time I ever had FWC check me was on a shore dive about a week before mini-season. They came up in a boat, and I didn't even hear them at all. I surfaced, and there they were. They were like, "What's in the bag?" and I showed em 2 hogfish... they looked in the bag, and tossed it back.

Panulirus Guttatus are highly toxic and you should not eat them.
spotted_spiny_lobster.jpg
But if you are fool enough to pursue them..... at night when they are more plentiful in population..... be very, very careful not to take 'eggers.
Those ladies have an incredible skill to hide their eggs.
They also are found in the 15'-30' depths in more profusion around the cycle of full moons.
They are a fascinating little creature with a very different life cycle than the regular ole' Caribbean Spiny Lobster.
spottedlobster6.jpg

*NOTE*
It is NO LONGER legal to shoot them a-la-the-Bahamas style of harvest.

And while at one time you could actually take them with eggs,
I never did as that represents a level of arrogance and stupidity that I could never fathom or justify.

Chug
Thinks that the real reason that the lion Fish are here is because too many people are taking lobsters.....
from me.

Whoa? Toxic? I have eaten two of them last year. -- off to google.

toxic :confused: I too have eaten some over the last year. cant seem to find anything online bout them being toxic tho?

Hey Chug!! You got me! Hours of googling looking all over for something that was not there. I owe you for that one. You are on the list. :eek:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom