Hog 23lb vs Hollis 25lb vs ??? opinions needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xspect

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for a warm water wing for my BP/W setup for simple rec diving

1) I eliminated oxycheq due to their customer service.

2) I was dead set on getting a Hog 23lb (its an awesome wing)

3) I recently discover that the Hollis 25lb is about the same price

Since I'm really on the fence on these wings. I would like to hear some opinions on which one to get. I would love to hear other options if they exist.

My budget is ~ $250

I do not own a HOG or a Hollis wing. Yet. I do have to say however based on some of my dive buddies experience with HOG products I would most definitely buy HOG. Unbelievable customer service is apparently the norm with these people. Friend had a small issue while on vacation and emailed Jim Lapenta from the board here and by no exaggeration, in less than 10-20 minutes, phone call and problems solved. Made my head spin. I do however own a HOG D1 reg set that I bought lightly used and it is way up there when it comes to performance and price. This is however just my $.05 , $.02 is not enough in these troubled times.:wink:

When you are the new guy or the smaller guy you do try harder. My grandfather taught me years ago when I started working in his grocery store at age 8 to treat every customer the way you would want to be treated. And that is my philosophy to this day. And just as a point of information the new HOG wings have a ten year warranty against pinch flats.

And that issue was my pleasure to handle. Our friend is a good guy and has referred others to me. Heck even if he hadn't, as his dealer I'll do whatever is in my power to see that he is happy.

I can't comment on the Hollis, but I can on the HOG. I just got back from 3 weeks diving it in warm waters. I bought it 6 months ago so have been keen as to put it to some use (previous trip I bought it for was cancelled twice).

Firstly it looked awesome on the boat. I paired it with the red ali plate, and it got constant queries :)
It never trapped air, worked flawlessly without an STA.. it's a bit hard to fault it as it just worked and I never had to think about it. It kept me stable and horizontal, I never had any tank roll or at any time had to fight it, it just worked.

The only slightly negative thing I could say about the wing (and i really hesitate to say this in case it's taken with too much weight) is that the inflator is slightly too long for MY preference. But compared to some i've used it's quite short :)

The picture in my avatar is me using it.

As for customer service - on the same trip i dropped and broke my HOG regs. When I posted here asking where to get certain parts, the owner of the company asked for my address to send them - free. And this is for something I admit that I broke. Can't ask for better service than that!

CameraAwesomePhoto.jpg

Xspect where are you diving, what type of suit are you using and how much lead are you wearing?

This set up is for vacation diving. cozumel, roaton, belize, bonaire etc... it will be with a steel backplate I will be wearing < 8 lb with a 3mm short or just skins.

BTW I'm 6'1 230lbs

I also have a diverite exp wing for regular diving.

I think the 25lbs will work for you under those condition have fun on you vacations.

I notice the plate is covering the dump valve. Did it post any issues? Can the wing be mounted a bit lower (or plate higher) to avoid this?

I can't comment on the Hollis, but I can on the HOG. I just got back from 3 weeks diving it in warm waters. I bought it 6 months ago so have been keen as to put it to some use (previous trip I bought it for was cancelled twice).

Firstly it looked awesome on the boat. I paired it with the red ali plate, and it got constant queries :)
It never trapped air, worked flawlessly without an STA.. it's a bit hard to fault it as it just worked and I never had to think about it. It kept me stable and horizontal, I never had any tank roll or at any time had to fight it, it just worked.

The only slightly negative thing I could say about the wing (and i really hesitate to say this in case it's taken with too much weight) is that the inflator is slightly too long for MY preference. But compared to some i've used it's quite short :)

The picture in my avatar is me using it.

As for customer service - on the same trip i dropped and broke my HOG regs. When I posted here asking where to get certain parts, the owner of the company asked for my address to send them - free. And this is for something I admit that I broke. Can't ask for better service than that!

View attachment 129879

I notice the plate is covering the dump valve. Did it post any issues? Can the wing be mounted a bit lower (or plate higher) to avoid this?

I too was concerned when I first assemled it. Never had a problem in water though - I assume that as soon as you are in the water, that the wing lifts up away from the plate - and apart from on the surface, when are you ever going to have it fully inflated? You could move the wing down I guess, but I doubt enough to fully clear the plate. It is honestly a dream to dive.

I actually use plastic book screws to hold the wing to the plate so it doesn't move around. Makes it soo much easier when assembling on the boat.
Backplate Assembly Screws and Nuts - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom