BCD troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlowWorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm new to this sport and I still need to purchase all my gear. First on my list is to buy a BCD and regulator but I just don't know all the pros and cons to them! There are so many different kinds. What are the best brands? I've been browsing craigslist but since I'm still a novice I don't want to get cheated. What are some key things I should look for when buying a BCD and a regulator? I already know I like the jacket style but that's about all I know!

I'm working on a college student budget. My biggest downfall, this is a very expensive sport!

Glowworm, Yes, it can be an expensive initial investment, especially if on a budget. What I would suggest is to rent for a little while, try out different types of BC's & regulators & figure out what you like (at the same time save away for the purchase). With scuba it is possible to do it on a budget, you just have to figure out what type of diving you plan to do, what you want to fulfill your needs & to do a little research. With a little effort, you should be able to come out with what you want/ need at a price you can afford.

My BC story in a nutshell: Was certified a couple of years ago. Absolutely boggled by the prospect of choosing equipment and overwhelmed by the prices. Even worse I couldn't tell schizzle from shinola. So I just went on Leisurepro and bought what was the best looking BC at the cheapest price. Turned out to be the Tusa Platina Evolution, which is jacket style.

After a while I decided to "upgrade". Bought a used BC on Craigslist, a ScubaPro Knighthawk. Fell in love with the engineering. Did not fall in love with the way it felt in the water. So I bought another used BC on Craigslist. Then another. Then another.

Then I became a sort of expert in BCs. Literally about 20 Craigslist BCs later (I have about 7 Craigslist BCs sitting in the room next to me right now) I realized, I flippin' love my Tusa. Actually what I REALLY love about the Tusa is their "Tank Suspension System" and the way the tank rides on my back. (Leisurepro just happens to be doing a clearance sale on these things for $250 right now). Honestly, some things on the Tusa feel cheap. But if I really think about it, the most important things on it are rock-solid. So for me this is an inexpensive but solid choice.

But......

If all my equipment was stolen and I had to do it over again, I wouldn't end up buying one piece of equipment new. It's all there for you used on Ebay and Craigslist at deeply discounted prices. The best advice I could give a newbie in the market for a BC would be to zero in on the most recent (within the last five years) jacket style models from the following companies:

Sherwood
Scubapro
Oceanic
Tusa
SeaQuest/Aqualung
Aeris
(Others may chime in w. add'l recommendations)

and I would just buy one. You should be able to find one on ebay between $150 to $200. Craigslist is even better because people just want to clear out their garages and forget their scuba "experiment" entirely. So you can usually score a really low price or a package deal. (I can't tell you how many "package deals" I've bought, then turned around and sold the pieces I didn't need and ended up making money on the lot while keeping the equipment I originally wanted for what ended up being no cost.)

After you've bought one a rock-bottom price you can use it for a while and see if you like it. If you do, great. If you don't, then since you've bought it at the rock-bottom price then you can turn around and sell it without taking a big - or maybe any - "hit" when you sell it. This is the approach I take all the time when looking for new equipment. All in all, I've made way more by buying and selling equipment than I have spent on it. And I have two sets of very good equipment.

So that's my 2 cents from my experiences. Good luck.

I use a Tusa liberator.
It's the most comfortable BCD I've used.
Got a good price on it too from scuba.com.
That said, if you find a used Buddy Commando for sale, you'll never need to replace it, those things are indestructible.

First off, if the budget is painful, the answer is used gear.

The problem with used gear is that you often can't go and look at it and try it on, so you have to know what you are buying. Sometimes the gear is for sale because the person just didn't get into diving . . . and sometimes the person didn't get into diving, because the gear they bought was awful.

A BC has only a few basic functions to accomplish. It has to retain your tank, and preferably in a stable location in the middle of your back. It has to provide flotation at the surface, and compensate for the loss of lift from your exposure protection at depth. And it has to be willing to vent air on ascent. Those are the BASIC functions; to that, some manufacturers add holding your ballast or providing storage for your small accessory items.

To hold the tank stable, a BC has to fit -- and that means it has to cinch down snugly around you, so that the tank can't slop from side to side. BCs which are all fabric, and don't have any rigid attachment on which the tank can sit, tend to be sloppy. Always try a BC with the exposure protection you intend to use with it, so that you KNOW that a) it will be snug, and b) you can GET it snug when your mobility is a little compromised by neoprene or a dry suit. A mobile tank is a manageable annoyance for an experienced diver, but can be the difference between fun and a bad time for a novice.

BCs have to have enough lift for the purpose -- enough to float your gear (without you in it) at the surface, because sometimes you have to take your gear off before getting back in the boat. And enough to compensate for the loss of lift of your exposure protection at depth -- which is minimal in warm water setups, but can be significant in cold. But too much lift is counterproductive, because big air bladders can hid air from the vent orifices, and make buoyancy control on ascent difficult.

There are two basic styles of BCs, jackets and back-inflate. Jackets wrap the flotation around the diver -- this makes it very comfortable and easy to float on the surface, but makes the BC bulky on the front of the diver. Many such jackets also have a lot of padding, rendering them intrinsically positive, so you have to carry pounds of lead just to sink your BC. In warm water, this isn't a big issue, but in cold, you may be rationing every additional pound of lead.

Back-inflates are not as reassuringly stable on the surface -- you may, for example, have to lean a big back to be stable. But they leave the front of the diver unencumbered, and often have less padding so they don't require as much ballast to sink.

Kind of the ultimate evolution of the back-inflate BC is the backplate system, where a rigid plate sits on the diver's back, with a separate air bladder, or wing, that attaches to the plate. This leaves the front of the diver clean, holds the tank stable, is infinitely adjustable (because the harness is simple and can be made as long or short as you need it to be), and allows the purchase of a wing whose lift is appropriate to your needs. The downside is that you have to provide some kind of other storage for small items, and have to figure out how to manage your ballast, because backplate setups don't come with weight-integration.

If your budget is tight, I'd suggest watching SB ads and your local Craigs list, and if you find something that intrigues you, come here and ask us about it. In the meantime, you can go to your local dive shops and look at, feel and try on a variety of styles, to see what seems comfortable for you.

Cheap yet functional. It dosen't make any difference what brand as long as it functions properly. You can stick with major brands that are not real old because divers change out gear for almost any reason except wearing it out. Work with your LDS, they may have used gear and will let you know what brands they can service. Check for local dive clubs which may also help you with your selection.

A diver can put on any gear and make it look good in the water.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Like Bopper, I own and have owned and dove a variety of brands. I prefer the SeaQuest Balance for recreational diving, and my wife loves her SeaQuest Diva. But fit, style and function are matters of personal taste. Integrated weight system or no, jacket vs back fill, cumberbund or no, one tank strap or 2, lift capacity, etc. You can go crazy if you try to "test drive" every possible combination. Find one that you are comfortable in.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom