Bc air bladder material deterioration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fanthomdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To All BC Experts: IS THERE SUCH A THING AS BC AIR BLADDER DETERIORATION EVEN IF A BC IS STORED AND PROPERLY CARED FOR? The thought came to my head after seeing an episode of HC's Pawn Stars where a seller was selling a 5-yr old body armor. Somewhere during the conversation, there was mention of expiration date of the body armor due to nylon material deterioration. I was wondering if the same principle applies to BC bladders when over time the material deteriorates and becomes porous thereby hindering its ability to hold air. :confused:

Allay your fears, I have cut open 20 + year old BCD bladders that were badly scuffed on the outside with perfectly intact bonded membranes on the inside .( I use the material to make shot weight pouches of varying sizes with the use of a hot clothes iron to fuse / heat seal the membrane together ).

The only place for delamination of the membrane to occur is around expansion gussets or stress points in bladders where a diver has inflated a BCD and jumped from a greater than normal height into water creating sudden expansion stress on the seam before the dump valve has a chance to open.

Most older BCD's suffer from leaks on dump valves and the inflator hose area. Sometimes reversing or replacing a rubber gasket or an O ring can solve the problem. If you have concerns of a porous bladder, put a bit of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle filled with water and liberally spray the fully inflated bladder to expose the leaks.

Thanks Namereg 58! Now I'll need to get anti-mildew stuff. :D

Back
Top Bottom